Sparrow numbers

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Perhaps this is why in our rural quiet we have increasing numbers of sparrows every year - as well as masses of young bluetits and chaffinches.

Urban noise 'killing baby house sparrows'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18784607
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Alan,
Some 20 years ago the House Sparrows left this very quite haven and didn't come back for 15 years and now the numbers have increased dramatically and are at least triple what they were before they departed.
At that same time the RSPB were telling us of the massive decline of the House Sparrow.
Certainly we do not have a noise level other than tractors passing at about four an hour but I would be loathe to say that noise has very little to do with their increase here. On the other hand it just might!
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

We haven't seen a decline in house sparrows and we are in surburbia, although in a cul-de-sac so limited passing traffic. We are the only house with a tree (some weeping ornamental pear) which is right beside a garage with a nice tiled roof they can nest under so they may well just all come here as it meets their needs.

These year there appears to be more and I was wondering if it is the fact the council turn the street lights off at 1am so they actually respond to the sun coming up and aren't confused by the unnatural street lighting which is also right near their little patch. Personally I think well rested parents might be able to provide better for the chicks - it's a thought maybe?

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic