Robin in the engine hoist

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

When we moved into our house, we inherited a 2 tonne engine hoist which was at the bottom of the garden and which the previous owners had understandably decided was too much like trouble to try and move.

As the wheels were rusted solid and were embedded into the mud, we decided that maybe the PO had had a point and so we painted it black to blend in a bit more than its' original bright red (think Ferrari) and over the years we've hung bird feeders from it, grown beans up and over it and generally used it as a large piece of garden equipment :D .

Yesterday whilst trimming back some overhanging branches I noticed a little face peering out from the open end of the lifting arm of the hoist (a 10cm diameter heavy duty steel pipe).

Careful closer inspection reveal this to be a little robin, sitting nice and secure in a nest which even the most agile of cats would be unable to reach. What a clever bird and what a lovely sight :).

I'll try and get a picture later on but I don't want to disturb her too much.

VPM
x
Monika
KG Regular

How lovely, VPM, and how clever of the robin to choose a cat-proof place. I do hope all the youngsters will fledge successfully!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic