In black and white -

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Well for the last two or three years I have seen an albino white pheasant round here, and this year end of march I saw an all black pheasant, at first I thought it must be a grouse, but yesterday it was strutting along on the grass verge in our lane and I got a close look and it was definitely a black pheasant - no females with it - perhaps they prefer those with more colour.
The first sighting sparked a haiku.....

Urban fox -
the sun and a black pheasant
above our garden

we have cats so they fly over our garden rather than into it. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi NB,
All black Pheasants are quite common hereabouts and years ago I saw a white one which I learned later was shot stuffed and mounted!
I was so Bl--dy cross I had a go at the person who committed the foul deed.
Although a dedicated meat eater I do not eat game birds I would much prefer to watch them with binoculars than take a gun to them. Mind you Pheasants can be a real nuicance in the vegetable area,
I am overrun with Wood Pigeons this year and I will have to take a gun to them sadly but I counted over 40 up in the trees the other day and they are just waiting for me to make a slip-up and leave something unprotected. I went back up to the house a couple of years back and left 15 newly planted cabbages and within the 5 minutes I was away they were all ruined.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy. White pheasants often don't survive too long as they're not very good camouflage but ours was around about 3 years, first black one I have seen in our area though ! Yes I love birds too, a couple of blue tits in our new nesting box. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic