FIRST FROGS

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

glallotments
KG Regular

We have had frogs laying spawn in our pond. All the first lot were eaten by the fish. They laid a load more so I removed a bit to keep in a tank to rear - I've done this successfully in the past which is where I think the first frogs came from.

Now there is a lot laid on one of the planting containers and at least always one frog seems to be sitting on it. As I approached for a closer look two more frogs swam up and joined it and they all just stared at me. When fish approach they seem to try the same face off with them.

As they are croaking they must be male frogs. I've heard of other species of frogs guarding spawn or tadpoles but didn't think common frogs did this - we certainly haven't noticed it happening before in our pond. has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour?
Attachments
frog 012.jpg
frog 012.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm getting very concerned now as we have not spotted a single frog arriving in our mini pond yet and in earlier years I had recorded seeing frogspawn back in late February, so I'm wondering what has happened to them all. The heron has been circling around here regularly - he knows all the gardens which have ponds so maybe he has done his deadly work but to have no frogspawn at all is indeed worrying for the future. I may have to go around begging for some! The summer weeding scene in the garden will not be the same without having a few baby froglets hopping around.
glallotments
KG Regular

Pity you aren't near to me Primrose as you would be welcome to some of ours. - That is if the frogs would let me near it!
macca
KG Regular

Anyone live in the Stansted area that has spare frogs spawn because I have a new pond and need some so my daughter can learn how they develop first hand?
I will collect obviously.
Thanks
Monika
KG Regular

I only just read your last post about the frogs, OH: herons love frogs and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is your problem! Luckily our small garden pond is too close to the house for them to dare land but the much larger Nature Reserve pond for which we are responsible loses frogs (and toads?) to herons every year. At least enough survive to continue the population. Our frog survival problem starts with the frogspawn which is eaten by mallards and, when the tadpoles start developing, by newts. Well, such is nature.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I must admit, i feel quite sad not seeing their smiling faces looking out of the ponds.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

At last, one clump of frog spawn in one of the ponds..... :)

But the lady did say that Herons are visiting the pond everday, so i should think that is the cause for lack of frogs.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic