Sausage and eggs

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

Have recently been finding eggs around my plot -mostly whole and buried shallowly - but also some empty shells just lying on the surface. They are large hen's eggs without a stamp on, is this a fox do you think?
My nearest neighbour has found some too, along with a couple of raw sausages. No sign of frying pans as yet!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Yep, sounds like a fox to me!

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

What's this fox called, Jamie Oliver?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
PT
KG Regular

It's ether a fox or the squirrels have gone carnivore
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Beccy
KG Regular

I found an egg while out walking the dogs on a piece of local open ground. What I don't understand is where foxes get date stamped eggs from.
peter
KG Regular

Beccy, that sounds more like the burberry wearing two legged urban fox, wot frows, like, eggs, like, at like, fings, like.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Gloworm

It may be a fox although I'm sceptical, they are usually hit & run merchants, or grubbing about for worms grubs etc. It is more likely rats, as a boy on my dad's farm we sometimes found a rats nest with a lot of hoarded eggs. Try some rat bait to see if the rats take it.
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks Gloworm, I think you may have solved it, apparently there have been a large number of dead rats about the site this last week so it seems that someone has identified a problem and dealt with it, though I'm not sure that any of the dog owners would be happy to think that there might be poison about.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
peter
KG Regular

Gloworm, we had an elderly gent on site a few years ago who had given up growing and just used his plot to feed foxes, this was at one end and I am at the middle.

Until I found out what he was doing I could not understand why I kept on digging up pieces of meat from my plot.

It was the foxes cacheing the oversupply.

His plot was like the Somme, bones, blood, scraps etc, the compost bin was full of bones. Once the council had warned him to stop, so did the buried bits of meat and the number of crows hanging round the site declined also.

Regards, Peter.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

peter
KG Regular

Gloworm

Peter, that's interesting, I suppose foxes normally are always on the edge of hunger so do not get round to burying a surplus, their surplus is normally left on site when they just bite the heads off numerous chickens.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic