Slugs in the house?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

Does anyone else get these? This is a very old house that had been empty years and heading for dereliction.

Many times a week I get up to find large dark grey slugs in the kitchen; on the kettle or marmalade jars.. In the sink.. They are gross. Especially if you put your unsuspecting early morning hand on one.. Always the same kind; dark grey.
Monika
KG Regular

One of our sons, who lives in a former smithy, gets them in the kitchen, too. Sometimes the only evidence is a slimy trail but occasionally he finds the real thing climbing up the wall or furniture.

That reminds me, though, of a neighbour in an old cottage in the village who, one evening this summer, heard something moving on the floor and a toad slowly crawled out from beneath the settee!

Maybe the two of them should get together!
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Maybe the two of them should get together!

I suspect that might end badly for one of them.

I used to have a slug live under the 'fridge, a huge leopard slug. It was a shared house, and suffice to say that the slug was the least of our woes...

My mother had a mollusc trail appear every morning on her living room carpet for many months. We never found the culprit, only the evidence of he / she (both, in fact) having been there in the night. I never could fathom what attracted the perpetrator.
Allotment, but little achieved.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I keep finding an occasional slug in the conservatory and can't work out where they come from. I think they can change shape to slide through very small spaces. They aren't hiding in or under any of the plant pots. My house is quite old, so perhaps they built them with slug access points!
glallotments
KG Regular

Last year every morning we found a slug trail in our porch and just couldn't imagine how it got in. We stripped everything out and searched - it's only a small porch. We filled any likely holes and even stuck copper tape along the door frame in case they were squeezing through the tiny gap around the door.

I wonder if they sneaked in on vegetables - we had new windows and doors installed last year (not an overreaction to the slugs we renewed all the house windows)and so far we have had nothing but time will tell.
Johnboy
KG Regular

My property is a rather ancient stone walled farm house and many of the floors are of stone flags and slugs, especially Leopard Slugs, are one of the less attractive of it's features. I frequently have slug trails in places you would not expect. I am afraid that they are something I cannot cure having spent hours trying to find how they actually get in and have yet to fathom this one. I do not get them anywhere other than the floors fortunately and I have yet to catch anything having lived here more than thirty years.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic