Blackbirds

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sincerity
KG Regular

I was watching German television today, when I saw an article reporting the deaths of at least a thousand blackbirds in one area of Germany. This was described as an epidemic, which had not yet peaked. Dead birds are currently being examined, but the current hypothesis is that they have been infected by the 'usutu virus'. The usutu virus is African in origin and has been found in mosquitos - currently thought to be the mode of transmission. The virus can be passed to humans, but there are no reports of this thus far. Another battle for birds, who face evermore hardship. I hope that this virus does not spread, let alone to our shores. I find the struggles faced by our wildlife, be it birds, bees or butterflies, quite heartbreaking.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Sadly, I believe there were similar incidents in US, Sweden and Australia earlier this year Sincerity, thousands of birds dropping out of the sky.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic