The birds have flown

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

First brood of four Swallows left the nest a couple of days ago and spend much of the day on the top of the fence behind the greenhouse getting fed. Then today I found the fruit cage alive with baby Wrens, I've seen four at once but I suspect there are more.

IMG_4045_RR.jpg
IMG_4045_RR.jpg (451.45 KiB) Viewed 8689 times

IMG_4046_RR.jpg
IMG_4046_RR.jpg (398.08 KiB) Viewed 8689 times

IMG_4050_RR.jpg
IMG_4050_RR.jpg (647.85 KiB) Viewed 8689 times
Diane
KG Regular

Such beautiful pictures - and good luck to all the little birds.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

How exciting and delightful. I love the clicking and chattering of baby wrens. Sadly we rarely get to see any round here . Seems quite early for the swallows to leave the nest. Does that mean you might see a second brood. . It's so delightful to see them darting and diving around in the sky. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Geoff
KG Regular

We nearly always get two broods of swallows, they haven't wasted much time only arrived on 9th April. There's plenty of food for them, I think I am feeding them indirectly the number of bites I'm getting!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I would just like to say a massive thank you to Geoff, for always brightening the forum up with his wonderful pictures. I hope everyone gets as much pleasure out of them as i do.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks OH.

I've been trying to get a picture of the Wren's nest then realised evening was better. I had a pile of posts I use for supporting netting round my brassicas leaning against the fruit cage by an old wheelbarrow. When I came to use them I realised there was this big pile of moss wedged behind them so I put some back and made it as firm as I could and much to my surprise they carried on building it. You should be able to make out a baby in the entrance in the second one.

IMG_4051_R.jpg
IMG_4051_R.jpg (715.37 KiB) Viewed 8662 times

IMG_4052_R.jpg
IMG_4052_R.jpg (728.9 KiB) Viewed 8662 times
robo
KG Regular

Three years ago I made a strawberry barrel out of a 35 gallon barrel the idea was to put it at the side of were we sit when having a tea break down our plot it was that close to the bench seat you could lean on it ,come the first early spring I noticed a wren perched on one of the raised bed covers it was watching us very closely then it flew through a tiny hole in the netting covering the barrel , each day it was the same game closely watching us then darted into its nest after a few weeks you could hear the chicks tweeting it was a brilliant few weeks then one day we went down the plot and they had fledged it was strangely quite a few weeks later I scrapped the barrel and put all the strawberries into a raised bed
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's lovely to see them successfully rearing young.

Yesterday morning there were six baby blue tits lined up on the arm of my bird feeder with the parents feeding them in turn. Unfortunately there are only four today, the cat ate one and left it's wings on the mat for me and another killed itself flying into the window. Must put some new stickers on the window to warn them and not clean the windows so they can see the glass :)
Primrose
KG Regular

Birds just don't understand glass, do they? The other day I was dozing in an armchair with the patio door open one side and woke to hear cooing and to my amazement, Limpy, our injured wood pigeon had hopped in theiugh the door and was wandering around on the carpet wondering why her lunch was late being served !

I got up to shoo her out but unfortunately she panicked, flew into the fixed part of the sliding patio door and the more I tried to get hold of her, the more she kept trying to throw herself at the fixed part of the glass door trying to escape. Eventually I managed to shoo her out but not before she'd poo'd all over the carpet, which just added insult to injury !

Anyway, the following day she was back, apparently unharmed by her escapade but ignored the open door and limited her begging technique to hopping onto patio container nearest the window and staring in!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic