Bird feeding in winter

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Re: Bird feeding in winter

Postby Monika » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:05 pm

I made another batch of bird cakes today: 3 packets of Atora suet and 1/3 packet of lard, all melted and mixed with milled peanuts, mealworms and sunflower hearts, much appreciated by woodpecker, long-tailed tit, goldcrest and starlings!

I envy anybody with fieldfares, redwings and bramblings in their gardens because we have not seen any of them this winter, quite unusual with the harsh conditions in Scandinavia.
3 x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 am

My friend has a Red Sentinel crab apple tree in her garden which has been looking lovely all winter so far with hundreds of small to medium bright red apples like Christmas baubles. A flock of about 30 Fieldfare have spotted it and been feasting for the past two days just a few yards from the window. I hope it has helped sustain them for a bit longer. I've added it to my to buy list and just have to decide where to plant it now. I can recommend it to anyone wanting a small ornamental tree.
0 x
Primrose
KG Regular

Postby Primrose » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:40 am

Do those crab apples actually survive OK on the tree in frosty weather.?
I pass by a tree like this on my walk to the village and after a couple of frosty nights I noted that while the fruits still remained on the tree, they had all turned brown, mushy and rotten and would have been totally inedible for wildlife.
0 x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Postby PLUMPUDDING » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm

The ones on her tree look lovely all winter and this is the first year they've all been eaten apart from a few nibbled by blackbirds. They do look a bit past it when they fall off in spring though.
0 x
Monika
KG Regular

Postby Monika » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:16 pm

We have a large crab apple tree opposite our house which I actually grew about 25 years ago from a pip found in a hedgerow crab apple at the other end of the village. Every year it has a huge crop of fruit but they all drop off about November and all the blackbirds and thrushes feed themselves silly. I wish the crab apples would stay on longer, then we might get fieldfares and redwings (or even waxwings!).
An extra avian visitor today was a wood pigeon.
0 x
MattFranco
KG Regular

Postby MattFranco » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 am

Also supply the birds with fresh water.
0 x
Man, I don't want to be a loser. Soon I'll try best free bingo. For sure, those games are simple. That is what I think.

Return to “Birds, Animals and Livestock”