Briggs & Stratton classic primer bulb problem

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mowerman
KG Regular

Hi, I have the above engine.
When I press the primer bulb, very slowly comes back out. I have replaced it but still no joy. I have replaced the diaphragm (795083) and used carb cleaner on all the holes in the carb. Still no priming of petrol to the engine. The petrol tank is full of fresh petrol. Any help would be appreciated please. Thank you in advance.

Simon
Clive.
KG Regular

Sadly I have no knowledge of the workings of these as it's too new for me to have had dealings with during my days working in the mower world. Having said that I did fit a primer bulb on one for a work colleague a few years ago...but it was just that, replace the bulb, and all was ok. It was a hungry mouse that had had a chunk out of the rubber bulb in that instance...and a chew of the breather pipe elbow too.

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive,
Thank you as ever for your input. Not to worry, if I find out what is causing this, I will post it on here for others to see.

Simon
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Simon, i was wondering if the problem could be with the pipe in the fuel tank.

Or the petrol cap not letting any air in.

Just a couple of thoughts, from a none mechanical mind. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
mowerman
KG Regular

Right, it's fixed. What I found was that the pick up pipe the petrol is drawn up had a very small disc in the bottom. This had 3 small holes in a triangle arrangement. Although I cleaned the pipe I decided to order a new one without the disc in. This cured the slow primer bulb problem. I did replace the primer bulb but just to prove the point I put the old one back in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic