Backsaver spade.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elderflower
KG Regular

My husband bought me one of those 'backsaver' spades with a spring that flings the soil forward.
I was very dubious but it`s been great! I can dig 5 or 6 rows with no back pain at all - with my ordinary spade I can`t do more than one row.
Big success! :D
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I have seen tham recently and I remember seeing them quite some years ago in the gardening mags. A splendid idea and design . Cheers, Tony.
Catherine
KG Regular

We had one many years (about 25 - 30 years ago) when they first came out. My first OH bought one but never did any digging with it and it stayed in the garage, dont know what happened to it when we divorced. :? He must have kept it in the split. :lol:
Tel
KG Regular

Elderflower,
Bought one on e-bay some time ago. Been waiting now for the eventual time to use it!!!!!!!!
At the mo - it could be soon!
Tel.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

I bought one of these a few months ago, after trying out somebody elses on the allotment. It's an amazing piece of kit for rough digging. You can cover a lot of ground in a short time :D
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Tel
KG Regular

Originally made by 'Terrex' in the 60's I believe.
No-one was interested in reviving the idea but then some bloody French company took the idea up and are now selling them (at the last count for £90+).
Everyone who has ever used one agrees that they are excellent if your back is a problem. Some enterprising bloke is making replacement parts in the UK
if you're interested.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic