The garden fork the Queen gave me.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Actually I was in married quarters when the big change came and from supplying everything the R.A.F. went to supplying nothing. They said anything you want on march out, take it! But that's by the by.

The handle shaft has broken. I'm trying to track down a replacement but not having much luck. All wood YD handle, but longer than the two footers I'm finding in garden centres and ironmongers. As I said all wood handle apart from a pin through the top and possibly two shaped bits at each endof the grip.

I live in North Wiltshire but I'm willing to go anywhere if they have a handle to this spec'. Any leads out there? No Googles p l e a s e, been there. :?: Cheers, Tony.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
We are fortunate in our town that our ironmongers do still stock longer handles...but not the split wood YD that you mention...or the shaped T that I prefer. They have the barrel shaped T handle and the fixing of this T can sometimes leave a bit to be desired.
http://www.richardcarterltd.co.uk is the company that I associate with tool handle manufacture in UK. Suspect they may be a bulk supplier.? but I did once have a railway shunting pole handle from them as a single item but it was collected by a dealer who bought and purveyed other railway related tools from them. Just don't ask why I have had a railway shunting pole stood here in the hallway. :? :wink:

Out of interest a few years ago I was buying quite a few tools from Ramco who are clearers of ex ministry tools etc etc....they would have cleared and resold all the things you would be familiar with to kit out those in quarters. I did also have some T spade handles from them once too.!

Sorry not to come up with a definitive supplier of you specific quest though.

Clive.
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Thanks indeed for those leads Clive. I'll follow them both up. I know of a 'tool shop' that's only open Saturday mornings, I'll go round there. Thanks again. Cheers, Tony.
Clive.
KG Regular

I popped into our ironmongers this morning and as usual the tub of handles was well stocked...but no YD.. I purchased a straight tapered shaft barrel top T 36"x1,1/2"...a nice length to go in the 1940s Neverbend spade that I purchased a couple of weekends ago. :)

Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic