Cadet front wheel locking

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Roger Williams
KG Regular

I'm (hopefully) repairing a Webb Cadet rotovator but would appreciate some guidence as to how to lock the front transport wheel back in the "move-it" position. I note there is a convenient roll-pin on the wheel's leg and interestingly I have a bolt missing from the chain-case right where the leg would sit were I able to lock it in place. Can anyone describe/photograph the catch/mechanism I suspect has been removed, please?
Attachments
motorculture bolt.jpg
motorculture bolt.jpg (320.2 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Roger,
We used to hire out one of the later Cadets...that was 20 years ago..
The later ones had a folding handle so they were ideal for loading into the back of estate car or larger hatchback. I can't for the life of me remember how the wheel locked down in transport mode. I can't even see it in the tilling position. :oops: Did it lock up by means of the roll pin locating in slots in the end of the chassis angle.?..... As you suggest a similar system for locking down perhaps??.. I must have shown it to hirers on a walk round instruction too.. :oops: ..but it would have been in the last few months of operation of the mower business..when times were a little fraught and difficult to remember details....................

As an aside it is interesting that some green paint?? is showing on the chaincase. It was sold at first in that green as a Webb Wizard Tiller.

Later it was sold as the Qualcast B66. as you will see here; http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfin ... Cultimatic
Sadly not a clear enough parts drawing to gain any clues...

I wonder if forum poster Richard could help you.??
http://www.merrytiller.co.uk

Clive.
Roger Williams
KG Regular

Hello Peter - Thanks for your reply and very helpful suggestions. The parts list WAS sufficiently detailed to allow me to spot, on the chain case diagram, (item 22) a "nut, wheel location" and (item 26) a "screw, wheel location" - so I am now feel certain these were indeed special fastenings for locking the wheel down and will follow your other suggestion asking Richard if he has them. Thanks again, Regards, Roger
Clive.
KG Regular

Yes, I spotted those items by their descriptions...but can't spot a bolt on bracket listed... Hopefully Richard may know as he lists the parts book for one type and the instructions for another.

Clive.
Roger Williams
KG Regular

Hi CLIVE (sorry about calling you Peter - I had another very senioer moment!) - As you suggested, Richard was back with the answer within an hour. What a source of info he is.

He explained that the wheel arm is rocked back far enough so that the flanges of the chaincase enter the cutout in the arm. Pull downwards against the spring tension and latch the hook bit round a chaincase bolt - and presto, its done. I had not understood the the "pull downwards against the spring tension" bit and had further confused myself by presuming, quite incorrectly, that my missing chain-case fastening was part of my locking problem. In fact the missing fastening is irrelevant - the arm does actually lock onto the fastening that's in situ just below the vacant hole, so thanks very much for your help and, via this post, to Richard.
Clive.
KG Regular

Good to hear that the problem is resolved thank you to Richard. :)

I had sort of remembered the pull against a spring with regard to locking it up for working...but then questioned myself when I couldn't see a spring on the drawing. :oops:

Anyway, I hope it tidies up all ok and you've got yourself a good little tiller.

Clive.
......and I have been called worse. :wink: ...including Olive. :? :shock: ...as result of a dot matrix printer very square looking C misread by a nurse at a hospital appt. :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic