Qualcast Dellorto FHC 2013A Carb Bowl Nut

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mowerman
KG Regular

Hi everyone,

Believe me, I have tried a lot of websites to try and find this part which has snapped in two whilst removing the carburetor float bowl for servicing. Bartram Mowers tell me this part is no longer made which is item 34 on this drawing. http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfinder_pview.asp?pID=1739 Does anyone know if there is a replacement or a Tecumseh part that may do? The carburetor is on a Qualcast 35s mower.

Thank you in advance of any help at all :?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Mowerman,
The part would, I suspect, have been a Dellorto item purveyed as a spares item through the mower manufacturers spare parts system.

Whilst I can't say absolutely if it is the same....this design of carb' was used on the Italian licence built Tecumseh that were sold as Aspera, Tecnamotor and Tecumseh Italy. (but the USA Tecumseh, which did come into UK, whilst similar, could be different).
Lots of rotary mowers used the Italian 4 stroke engines with this design of carb' in its various types..it was also used on the 2 Stroke Aspera and Tecnamotor on Flymo etc hover mowers......so hopefully there may be plenty of these carbs and parts kicking about still...
Rather than trying to source online...perhaps the way forward may be to find a long established local lawnmower service agent...who may just have a few recovered items under the bench....from Qualcast/Atco engines etc, etc..

All the best,
Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

:) Hi Clive,

thank you very much for your knowledge on this. I took to the yellow pages and did as you said. I had to leave a few inquiries but will post back when a source has been found. Hopefully it may also help some one else.

Greatly appreciated.

Simon
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Simon,
I hope your search finds the part....

I forgot to add... http://www.qualcast.co.uk/qual-serviceagents.php

A search using postcode and county in my area brought up several established service/parts agents...and from my, now 20 years ago, past associations with the mower world I recognise 7 out of the 9 that come up as very long established in the garden machinery trade...

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

Thank you Clive,

That's a big help, and interestingly enough, some very close to me. Not been involved in this very long, but this is a great start. Thanks again.

Simon
mowerman
KG Regular

Right, found this part at Horbury Lawnmowers who ordered it for me. Very helpful people. Mower running good again, now, the small seal in the float bowl drain (Dellorto carb) is leaking. Small detail really but thanks for the input that solved this problem.
Clive.
KG Regular

Pleased to read that you have found the part. :) ..but then sorry to read further that you have a leaking seal..

The seal was a failure over time on older Dellorto carbs. The little "rubber" seal washer(item 32 on drawing) on the inside of the carb bowl perishes.
This seal washer could be replaced (if available).... With bowl removed, the slotted cupped spring retainer(35) under the bowl can be pressed up and sort of moved to one side releasing the spring and allowing the T section seal retainer(31) to be lifted out, cleaned and new seal washer fitted.

I never had to replace one in an Atco/Qualcast application though...simply because back when I dealt with them the Dellorto fitted engines were new... :wink:

Clive.
Attachments
Dellorto Bowl.jpg
Dellorto Bowl.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 33796 times
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive, thank you for this. Just to update, I have made one from an old cycle innertube. I'll see if the rubber perishes over time. Do you know if there is any information on setting the carb properly / tune up please?
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive, can you tell me where you got this picture from of the carb please?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

The carb' drawing was a selective scan from an old parts book.

One version of the Dellorto carb appears though on this link;

http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfin ... p?pID=1674

sourced form this page;

http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfin ... 6&c1=Punch

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

As ever Clive, thank you very much .
mowerman
KG Regular

Hi Clive,

can you give me you opinion on this please?

I have a Qualcast 35s classic - most recent model with a Tecumseh engine. Same one as in this thread. When I try to start the engine, I can try 10 - 15 times before there is a chance. However, when I put my hand over the air filter to aid the induction of petrol, it starts 1st or second pull.
I have stripped the carb as this problem was present beforehand and totally cleaned the jet with carb cleaner as well as all other parts. The choke seems to work fine on full setting.
If I remove the plug and put a drop of petrol in it starts first time and any other time there after till the engine goes cold again. I have two of these and I can compare the functionality & settings to one that runs perfect. Short of swapping the carb to test on the other, is there anything I am missing ? it all points toward not enough petrol being inducted. Air filter etc is the genuine part and has been cleaned. I have also set the mixture screw to the manual. I'm puzzled
Clive.
KG Regular

Is all well and healthy with the engine in terms of compression and its general overall condition.? No intake leaks.? from damaged/disturbed gaskets etc. Fuel flow to carb' ok.?
Is the central brass emulsion jet tube fully clean.? (I'm thinking Dellorto carb here and not the Tecumseh type you also posted about, that I am not familiar with.)

As it sounds to run ok when you actually get it started....does the choke disc absolutely fully close...or could it be just clicking on the notches of the operating quadrant and not quite closing fully to.?? I'm wondering if the vertical spring on carb top that the quadrant notches locate in has got bent.? I think that is how it works? I have not actually dealt with AQ148.

I'm not a fan of swopping back and fore from other engines, unless all other avenues have been gone down....fearing it could lead, through well meaning disturbance, to having two non starting engines. :wink:

Clive.
mowerman
KG Regular

Yes, 2 non runners :shock:
Thanks as ever Clive. I'll report back when I've had a look (Could be a while with the cold weather).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic