How often do you get your motor mower serviced?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Just wondered. Had ours serviced a couple of years ago and it cost almost as much as it cost to service my car. This week we've had somebody come to our house and do it in situ with a van that's all set up as a mobile workshop, which seems a good idea for anybody to has to dismantle a mower and then lift it into a car boot to take it somewhere. This service cost £55 + parts and VAT and I'm wondering what people pay in other parts of the country.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, it's a funny old business the servicing of mowers.

Now, i have my mower serviced once a year as it gets a lot of use, costs me about £30 including, air filter, oil and spark plug.
But i do have to take it there.

But one of the places i work, bought a cheap, under a £100 petrol mower six years ago, they have never had it serviced and it starts after a few pulls each year.
They said when it goes wrong they will just chuck it away and buy another one, so i suppose they have saved money already.

So a lot depends on the quality of the mower and how often it is used, i suppose.

Your servicing does sound a lot more, but the mechanic has got to cover his travelling time and his van.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
madasafish
KG Regular

I never GET it serviced.
I diy. Costs about £1 in oil annually Occasionally new air filter - every 4-5 years £4. I sharpen blades myself.
Takes 2 hours for each mower..

My youngest one is 12 and pretty good. Atco Balmoral bought s/h.
My oldest is 37 and still going strong..Was my father's - Hayterette rotary.

For the last two years, I have been cutting my neighbour's grass as well as my own: in total about 3/4 acres... Two hours a week.. Well maintained I expect both to last long after me.
richard p
KG Regular

i dont do much to mine... sharpen the blades... check the oil and top up if needed.... patch the rust holes as they appear , change the spark plug every year or maybe two.

having said that, one place i go using the clients mower and strimmer, the strimmer was running rough.. stuck a new plug in and i reckon its knocked 25% off the fuel consumption so its probably worth changing the spark plug a bit sooner rather than leaving it till it fails... probably 3 or 4 years since the strimmer was last "serviced"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic