Battery driven chain saw

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

As my OH does not read my posts I need some information about a battery driven chain saw, he has two normal chain saws and for christmas I would like to buy him a battery driven one.

Can anyone suggest a make that is good. :)
peter
KG Regular

Know nothing about battery driven chain saws, but from experience with battery driven drills I would say:
    Unless used regulary the battery looses its charge volume.
    Unless kept on charge all the time it won't be usable when you need to use it.
    When you need to use it the battery won't last as long as the job.
    When the battery cease to hold any usable charge you won't be able to get a replacement.

If possible get one where the battery is removable and get it with two batteries, use one while the other is on charge.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
madasafish
KG Regular

Li-ion batteries are the only batteries for any tool you rarely use.

Unfortunately, for a chain saw, any battery costing under £150 is likely to be too small...

So any chainsaw under £250 is unlikely to be either big enough or have a wothwhile battery life....
richard p
KG Regular

a mains electric saw and a long thick extension lead is probably a better bet. ive also got a diesel genny for when the leads arnt long enough.
as someone else said if batteries arnt used they soon go bad.
having said all that i use cordless electric tools a fair bit, but ive standardised on ryobi 18 volt kit, they do something like 30 odd tools for diy and gardening that use the same batteries.
just recently ive been looking at the alternative to chainsaws... ive got a ryobi reciprocating saw (sabre saw).. it takes a range of blades so will cut angle iron, plastic drain pipe, seasoned wood or green wood, last week i used it to cut a three inch elder trunk... just about its limit.. they do another long reach pruner version as well.... its slower than a chainsaw though. but i dont need to do a weeks training every three years to get a chainsaw certificate to legally use it on somebody elses property.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic