Merry Tiller Titan Ploughing

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Roger Williams
KG Regular

Two questions please - 1) "Philkin" posted a picture of a fix for a loose push/pull B+S choke, but it's been moved. Can anyone point me towards it?

2) After many years rotovating I decided to explore the ploughing attachments that came with my Titan. There seems nothing on ploughing in the Titan manual but I've got a pair of wheels/tyres but with no obvious means of attaching them to the output stubs from the crankcase. Am I missing a couple of shafts & if so where might find them or an explanitory diagram. I've also got a "V" shaped plough, which wasn't what I envisaged as a means of turning the soil over. Is this really what I should be using to plough with?

Thanks in anticipation
peter
KG Regular

Roger, the rotors come off and the wheels replace them. the wheels should have hollow axles that attach using the same pins as the rotors.

Sadly from your statement what you have is NOT a plough.

It is a baulker or furrower, used to earth up potatoes, or make a trench to plant them in. It is used in conjunction with the rotors and instead of the depth skid.

A photo would confirm the matter.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hello Roger
If you search for merry tiller on ebay, there is a lot of stuff there. The photos are generally good and will help you to work out how these MT attachments fit to the machine. This one shows a furrower:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERRY-TILLER-RIDG ... 3a6017b9e1

Hope this helps

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Roger Williams
KG Regular

Peter & John, Thank you both for your help. I've looked at the ebay site mentioned and can confirm that I have the furrower, which I note should be used [u]with[/u] the tines instead of skid. I'll be looking out for a plough attachment on ebay!

Speaking of the skid, on p13 of the Titan manual I noticed a picture of a Titan with the skid AND the carriage-wheels apparantly in use while rotovating. I presume that that's a bit of artistic licence and that I should continue to remove the carriage-wheels when working?

My axle(s) are clearly missing but, with your description and the wheels in front of me, I can see what's needed and that, if they prove difficult to find, it is not rocket-science to make a pair. With that in mind can you kindly tell me the track (distance apart) of the wheels when assembled with axles so I know how long to make the axles? However first, it's back to searching ebay!

Thanks again, Best wishes
peter
KG Regular

Mine's an MT Major and I'll try to remember to measure the wheels on Friday when I'll be where it is stored. :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic