Atco recoil starter cord

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

larkspur
KG Regular

Its beginning to fray and before it goes completely how do I replace it? Its on a Atco Ensign 17". I can photo it for identification if required. I've done it on a Tecumseh, which was quite easy, but this is a different item completely. There does not seem any way to get in to secure the new cord.
madasafish
KG Regular

Same design as my Balmoral. Remove plastic cover containing cord and spring on side of engine. Note carefully direction cord wound round pully and places of all springs and various stops. (phots). Dismantle. Replace cord..
larkspur
KG Regular

Hi Madasafish

Tried to open your photo but cannot. Is yours like this?

How is it dismantled? By removing the cotter pin and how are the springs re-tensioned?

There just does not seem to be any way to secure the cord.
Attachments
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG (112.16 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG (100.65 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
Kev
KG Regular

Can you just uncoil a little rope then put your thumb on the pulley to stop it turning and just lift the rope out and around the pulley till you get to the knot at the end, chop it off with a secatuers or snips then re thread the new one all the time keeping your thumb on the pulley.
best if you have someone to help.
I am only going by the pic but wouldn't think it necessary to take it apart.
Kev
larkspur
KG Regular

Hi Kev

Problem is you cannot get to where the knot is secured to the pulley as its located underneath the pulley.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Clive.
KG Regular

If in any doubt in abilities with regard recoil starter repair with their powerful return springs...perhaps best to entrust repair to a local machinery agent....rather than risk injury from spring etc...
It may be that they are able to sort the item while you wait if all other components are ok...
All machinery agents should be familiar with these types as the Qualcast/Suffolk/Atco plastic type starter internals have been basically the same system with only a few detail changes since the 1970s.
Correct spring tension, length of rope etc makes all the difference to correct engine start.

Clive.
madasafish
KG Regular

Re: Atco recoil starter cord
Hi Madasafish

Tried to open your photo but cannot. Is yours like this?

How is it dismantled? By removing the cotter pin and how are the springs re-tensioned?

Remove the cotter pin. Lift it up carefully. Remove the spring - it WILL unwind and do not try to stop it . It is not dangerously powerful. Before you take it off NOTE CAREFULLY..the direction in which the spring is wound. And where it is connected to the centre section (under the cotterpin).

Before you remove the cord, note the direction in which it is wound.
When the spring and central bit under the cotter pin are removed you will find the string threaded through a hole. Remove and replace the string - but do not put the handle on . Replace the spring attached to the base and the central section and rewind the spring lightly a little . attach centre section and cotter pin. Wind rope round the pulley.The spring is tensioned automatically when you pull the rope so the trick is to feed the rope into the handle, raffix the starter to the machine , knot the rope in a way so it can be undone easily - (small piece of wood in knot helps).. and then test for the spring retracting the rope after it has been pulled.

Too little retraction means the tension is not tight enough... undo and tension spring by turing rope round pully. Too much and the rope will not fully extend.

Sorry no pictures: I have done it several times and every time it is a matter of taking notes before hand.

There is No danger if you are careful.. the spring tension could cut you if all goes wrong but it is not like a carspring which is of bone breaking potential.

When i do it I wear safety glasses but I do that for most jobs - especialy strimming.

Hope this helps.

PS if You are any good at DIY, this is a doddle if you have time. If you are useless at DIY don't bother. If you have to do it in a hurry, don't bother.
I use a clipboard to make notes.

See ..
http://www.outdoorking.com/forum/ubbthr ... mber=16328
video
larkspur
KG Regular

Done, I marked the direction of the cord pull, and just needed to bend the spring a little so it caught the post on the spindle as first time it did not catch. So new cord should be good for the next 20 years.

Thanks to all for help and instructions.
madasafish
KG Regular

Glad it' s sorted.
Mine is a Gin & Tonic (electronic) :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic