Push Lawn Mower

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Galileo
KG Regular

Does anyone have any recommendations for a qood quality Push Lawn Mower?

Thanks

Galileo
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Galileo,

Do you refer to a push mower in the regular sense of the term ie; a manually operated mower....rather than the similar terminology used for the push version of a non self propelled petrol rotary lawn mower...??

Clive.
Galileo
KG Regular

Hi Clive

Yes I mean a manual operated old fashoned zero horse power mower :)

My lawn is not very large and I want to incorporate some light exercise into my grass mowing.

So I will be doing all the work. :D

Regards

Galileo
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Galileo,

In my early mowing days I was a keen push mower operator....Qualcast B1, Super Panther, Webb Witch, Ransomes Ajax....being the progression of machines used at home here...'til I went to a late 1960s Atco battery electric mower..

I am out of touch with current offerings in the Push Mower world. :oops: ..other than to say that the majority of machines are of the sidewheel type which are good on open areas of regular lawn but not so good if you have more formal lawn edges with a gulley. There is, I believe, only one roller push mower about, I think, in the Handy? range. I have no experience of these other than spotting one the other week at a local garden centre.... very interestingly they seem to be a lightweight “plasticised" "copy"? of an old design that was once the Qualcast Superlite Panther.. Not sure if this is just a copy of if the basic design has been sold on....it looks so similar but now contains more plastic…….

Going back in years….there are s/h push mowers about...I started my mowing career with a cast iron sided Qualcast B1 a very sturdy sidewheel push mower that I tamed my Grandfathers orchard with. They are good and sturdy but require careful set up of cylinder bushes and blade adusting screws to go well.

The s/h roller types will be represented by the Qualcast Super Panther later the Superlite Panther when it changed to alloy sideplates and floating handles.

Higher spec’ s/h machines are about such as the Ransomes Ajax, the Webb Wasp and the fine cut 8 bladed Webb Witch....These can still command high prices if in good order... The Ajax was last sold new in the 1970s and the Webb push mowers last sold new in the late 1980s.
Ajax are rather nice gear driven machines but containing a lot of light alloy parts inc’ the gears..they can suffer if given harsh use/servicing….the front roller brackets always need looking at carefully as they can be distorted if over tightened in the past...and bend/break with rough handling...they serve as the grass box mounts.
The Webb mowers had steel sideplates and cast iron/steel components and had chain drive. I used to use a Webb Witch on our front lawn at home here...a nice machine but a little fiddly to adjust cylinder to bottom blade set.
Other machines may be about s/h from Greens, JP, etc.
..all will only be as good as their old age and servicing lets them be....

Sorry, I’m not up to speed on new push machines..

Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic