Things to do - done!

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

I finally did it, and I'm here to chivvy on the rest of you! Sick of being rained off the allotment, I went to the shed and using power drill, rotary wire brushes, flap wheels and files I removed the accumulated crud of years and corrosion from my old gardening fork. The one w'at the Queen gave me, good old Crowfoot brand, for those who know!

Digging is so much easier. It is nearly a pleasure, so get to it and don't forget the wipe down with an oily rag afterwards - the fork that is!

I've also laid a piece of D.P.M. (damp proof membrane) down over the soil yet to dig, drag it back just enough to turn over another row then back again. Keeps the soil a bit drier and walking on the DPM keepsthe boots just that bit cleaner. Cheers, Tony.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Kleftiwallah, i always scrape and oil my tools after every use, so no need to treat them in any other way. :)

The D.P.M idea is cetainly a very good one.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Well done KW. I'm afraid my tools don't always get as well looked after as they should.
A very good tip that I picked up a few years ago for oiling garden tools was to use a cheap cooking oil, e.g. sunflower, instead of mineral (engine/cycle) oil. There is no chance of contaminating the soil with this type of oil as itl is a natural oil that will soon degrade harmlessly when it gets in the soil.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Kleftiwallah
KG Regular

Very good idea John, will implement...Cheers, Tony.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic