Painting Allotment Shed.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

Had a discussion today on the site about shed painting.What came out of it was that in years gone by, sheds and fences were painted with a mixture of creosote and engine oil.Is this still practised?
My shed needs painting and I have a couple of gallons of creosote substitute so it might be interesting to try it.Anyone know the ratio oil to creosote,no-one in the discussion could remember.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
peter
KG Regular

Creosote is rated as carcinogenic, which is why it got banned.
Used engine oil is also carcinogenic and filthy stuff, full of combustion products, microscopic bits of metal from the engine internals, as well as being partially burnt itself. Father-in-law is a self employed mechanic and used to have a workshop heater which ran on used oil, these are now not allowed due to the filthy exhaust. :(

Personally I do not like the creosote substitutes as the ones I have bought do not seem to have the staying power of creosote once applied and need reapplying after only a few years.

I'm uncertain whether used oil would readily mix with tese creosote substitues in the first place. :?

All the water based wood or fence treatments are absolutely useless, you might just as well dilute some interior emulsion paint and apply that for all the use they are. The water repelling ability of these is zero. :x

For all the above reasons I have now moved over to using Sadolin, Which despite the higher cost per tin works out to be better value, as it has a range or colours, lasts well and being and oil based product actually repells water. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

Thanks for your views,Peter.No creosote substitute and engine oil on my shed,the Sadolin seems good.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic