Old Sheen Flame Gun

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tankerpilot
KG Regular

Can an old Sheen Flame Gun work on domestic heating oil or gas old. I find that whereas I used to be able to buy parafin from the pump at two local garages for about £5 a gallon now the only places to buy it locally are the DIY stores at about £5 a litre.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Tankerpilot,
The word in the instructions is "Clean Paraffin"..I am unsure whether the Clean is reference clean as in not full of muck...or Clean as in clean grade.??..as I think at one time our local hardware shop did stock two grades of Paraffin.??

Certainly the burn needs to be correct or else another thing that is mentioned in the instructions may occur...blocking of the burner coil with carbon...

There is of course the mention in the instructions... Petrol must not be used but it does also add or other fuels ie; not to be used.

The heating engineer at work tends to get very excited about oils and seems to love quoting all the secs ratings to his hearts content. :? :wink: ...but I am just a simple gardener and can only go by the word of the original instruction leaflet..

I wonder...if tanker pilot is ref VC10, Tristar, KC135 etc...wonder what rating stuff they carry... :wink:

Clive.
heating man
KG Regular

Heating oil is kerosene 28sec for domestic heating and aga cookers
Some big oil boilers industial use 35sec oil

Dont bother trying 35sec as it will never fire but if you get
oil from domestic it may work as i use kerosene or parafinn on an aga

hope that helps

parafinn = refined
kerosene= not as good
heating oil= to heavy

DONT TRY PETROL KABOOOM :lol:
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Heating man,

I had a feeling that you would know the refined definitions of the fuel types. :) :wink:

Clive.
lez
KG Regular

hello heating man. obviously someone who knows thier subject. in saying kerosene does this include aviation fuel?. I have heard of people running their diesel motors on it. jus an inoccent question thats all honest. :wink:
John
KG Regular

A similar query came up a while ago but about paraffin or heating oil but in greenhouse heaters.
Last time we had an oil delivery I got a couple cans filled up with kerosene (28?) and tried it in my paraffin g'house heater. It worked well - the flame tended to be slightly more sooty so I had to be careful when setting the wick but otherwise it worked fine.
I think the Sheen works on paraffin vapour under pressure so there shouldn't any problem at all. There is an enormous difference in price with heating oil at about £1.50+ for 5 litres and paraffin at £5-6 for basically the same stuff.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Larkshall
KG Regular

Another source of fuel might be to find out where tractor enthusiasts get TVO (tractor vaporising oil). That is a more volatile oil (only suitable for pressure burners).
arthur e
KG Regular

Hi Tankerpilot, domestic heating kerosene works just fine, I have been using it for years. Aircraft Jet A1 is just as good.
Arthur
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic