wolseley wizard rotavator

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

philskin
KG Regular

hello my name is phil i live in sunny shropshire ,i have recently been restoring a lovely little rotavator that i believe was also known as a merry tiller cadet .Now i have a serious problem in that the belt guide front gaurd mountain plate had been forced of by the previous owner so i dont know how it goes ,in the image it fixes to these points were the bolts are unscrewed now there is metal missing of the ends of the brackets and i riveted some extra on to see if i could line it up ,but whatever i do i cant get it right .Does anyone please have a picture or diagram of this model and the position it should be in thanks pics below

its really annoying me that i cant do this its probably very simple but only if you know below are before and after pics if anyone is interested just waiting to order some decals and get the guard on thanks phil

philskin
KG Regular

is it such a rare beast that everyones stumped ?
Clive.
KG Regular

Perhaps not.?? :wink: I was still typing... :)

Hello Phil,
Good to see the progress on your machine posted up on here. :)....

I will admit to having seen the tiller before..with a n other of my "hats" on. :wink: I may even have added to the thread. :wink:

I was bit worried when I looked at the photos this morning...as I feared for a while that there had been an unknown, engine block, or crankcase side cover transplant in some unknown past history of the machine.. The reason I feared this was that some engines of this engine type have 4 mounting holes in the crankcase side plate that are used to mount the engine to a machine frame in some applications instead of the 4 base mountings. In other applications sometimes one or two of these holes are used for things like belt guides... Basic engines, some used on some cement mixers and some mowers, did not have the 4 holes and I really feared that a transplant had taken place..and the engine was not as original as I had thought earlier. :oops:

But...On a brighter note. :) ....Having looked again and also having been pondering on this today...I wonder if the bracket attaches via 2 of the 1/4"UNC crankcase side plate bolts...?? There would I expect, if this is how it goes, be some spacers?? to go behind the guide plate as the bolt bolt heads are inset from the flat case side. It is difficult to see from the photos and harder to put into type..but perhaps turn the plate though 180 degrees from the position in the photo and offer it up..?? and see if it tallies with those back 2 crankcase cover bolts.??

The idea of this guide is to hold the belt in shape around the pulley when out of drive...such that the belt is evenly just free of the engine pulley to slip cleanly out of drive. Without a guide the belt would drop into the top of the pulley and try to grab and continue to drive.

The normal situation with these guides is that, with the belt tensioned simulating how it would be in use, the guides should be just clear of the back of the belt. All set up done stationary with engine switched off of course :wink: ....and spark plug lead removed and earthed....Belts and pullies are ready willing and able to remove fingers.!!

Richard T is the Merry Tiller guru and has been busy amasing info on the various models... perhaps worth a pm to him.?....he posts on here too. :wink:

Hope you can get the problem beaten...

All the best,
Clive.
philskin
KG Regular

thanks clive I thought no one was speaking to me ,ive managed to find a manual on ebay that has got a picture of the guide so i can see how much of the metal is missing ,will keep you informed ,thanks again phil :D
Clive.
KG Regular

Phil,
That's reminded me. :oops: :wink: ....one of my ponderings of today that I forgot to type was;...often in the Tiller manuals or in the operating instructions there can be some good clues...in and around the fitting a new belt or adjustment of...section...or even just from a parts drawing.
The MerryTiller manuals generally used to have some quite good line drawings in them...
The bracket would be a MT part rather than an engine manufacturers part.

Just a thought...I have a feeling that the repair of the poorly plate may have to be in line with the old rather than by addition at the rear of the plate.?? Due to perhaps limited clearances for any additional thickness.??

...and....Just out of historical interest.??!!..
Some online parts drawings for the "similar" chassis in its last guise as the Cultimatic B66 can be found from this link... http://www.lawnmowerparts.co.uk/partfin ... Cultimatic
Do note there will be detail differences...the guide looks different for a start.!!
It also shows the later folding handle guise which was fitted on the last of the MT Cadet versions too...
...and also on the Cultimatic model the engine fitted was one of their own make....hence other fitments will have changed..and there may be other diferences too that I am unaware of..

All the best,
Clive.
philskin
KG Regular

thanks clive your a star ,very interesting line drawings :D :D :D :D :D
philskin
KG Regular

just to let you know problem sorted ,did a few modifications and it seems to be working fine . looking for my next project now anyone know of a non runner that needs work lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic