NETTING RECOMMENDATION

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

I am building a home made timber brassic cage that I can take down every year and move so I want a good net to put over it, a while back there was a small flyer in KG magazine recommending someone, I want to use this net every year and for it to be butterly proof and quite strong? Oh and of course excellent value!!

Any pointers welcome

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Compo, Old Codger got us some nice quality net fom Wilkinsons, it is about 15feet by 6feet.
But i can't remember how much it cost, but it would have been cheap if Old Codger bought it. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Compo,
the netting should have a mesh size of less than 1/2", ideally 1cm. Sorry to mix measurements but it is easier to say it this way. Anyway, this will keep the adult butterflies out.
Regards Sally Wright.
retropants
KG Regular

Lidl will have some netting packs in tomorrow. 2m x 8m I think. I will investigate myself, as we always need more than we have, especially as the fruit trees are looking very promising, I don't want the thieving buggers to get all our pears, like they did last year.
Compo
KG Regular

Hi Retro

Have looked on lidl website, what kind of netting do you think they will have? I want something more substantial than the easy rip nylon stuff?

CoMpO€
Larkshall
KG Regular

I have just done the same thing to protect my brassicas from pigeons etc. I bought 10 metres of "pond netting" from a local garden centre. They have it on roll and it's sold by the metre (£1.10), it's two metres wide. I have 1 metre wide beds so cut 1.5mtr x 2mtr pieces (for economy). They were tied together form a strip 1.5mtrs wide.

I purchased 3ft canes for support, cut some in half to give 18" pieces for uprights (pushed half into the ground), fixing 3ft canes horizontally with rubber bands cut from 28mm high pressure cycle tubes (probably the cheapest way to get rubber bands). The netting is square mesh not the diamond mesh.
Compo
KG Regular

OK thanks for the help folks, in the end I purchased 50m x 2m roll of scaffold netting, should arrive next week all being well, compo.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thats some good stuff Compo, it lasts for years, and if it's the same sort as i use, it has little fixing slots stitched into the sides that you can slot canes into.

glallotments
KG Regular

Harrod Horticultural do all types of netting including insect netting.
retropants
KG Regular

sorry compo, only just seen this! I did buy some from lidl, it is the square mesh not the nasty stretch diamond crap. It will be useful for us.
Compo
KG Regular

The netting arrived today two working days after ordering online and it looked pretty good, just as good as enviromesh that is for sure, twenty five squid for a roll of 50m by 2m, will have to join it to make a cage but should be no prob with cable ties. If anyone is interested PM me and I will post the suppliers website.

Doesn't it make you feel smug when you get a bargain and it was easy to obtain too!!

CoMpO
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Compo,
it is better if you can "sew" the pieces together. If you can lay your hands on some of the plastic string and a good fat darning needle this will make a better job. Better in two ways, first there will be no gaps for those pesky flutterbys to flap through and second because the pressure will be even along the whole join and therefore less prone to tearing apart. If you have enough width to spare fold it over at the seam and it will be even stronger.
Regards Sally Wright.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Sally, i don't think you have ever seen my sewing then :wink: .

Compo
KG Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Green-Debris-Scaf ... 7C294%3A50

A few of you have asked for the link to the netting I have bought, this is a long link I know if it does not work, go onto e-bay and search for scaffold netting, my supplier was PSB Scaffolding in Newton Abbott but they only appear to sell via e-bay £30 will get u 25m x 2m Roll including 48 hour delivery. The mesh comes in many colours and is very fine weave similar to Enviromesh.

CoMpO

Compo
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Can anyone tell me if 1/4" mesh is fine enough ?
It seems so to me, but I only recently realised how long a metre was in comparison to a yard. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic