Stihl 180C chain saw?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jonzjob
KG Regular

I have a Stihl 180C chain saw, wonderful bit of kit, but just recently it has started to leak chain oil when it is not in use.

After use it is cleaned up and I have been putting it flat on the top of an old kitchen cupboard in my workshop. It had been there for a couple of months and there was a hell of a mess under it where the oil had leaked. I also tried putting it on it's side with the chain at the top, but it still leaked.

Has anyone any idea as to why it's suddenly started to leak!
John.

My wife won't normally let me do anything in the garden.
She says that I just like cutting things down,
but that's not true 'cause I like cutting things up too!
peter
KG Regular

Speaking from ignorance I'm afraid, but the chain oil is pumped when the machine runs, so are there seals in the pump mechanism that have given up the ghost, or is it simply the seal on the screw-cap for the oil compartment that's gone?

Even more basic, what grade of chain oil do you use, have you inadvertantly bought a thinner grade?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jonzjob
KG Regular

I think, hope, that I have found the leak? I have ahad a very close look at the oil filler cap and there was some tiny bits of debris on the inner rim. I had to fiddle the gismo that hold the cap secured to the saw out of the filler hole to see it properly. It is now cleaned properly and I will have to wait a couple of daze to see if it is OK.

So thank you for the suggestion!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic