Branding irons for wooden tools

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
anyone know where I can purchase a set of letters and numbers for branding wooden tools. If you look at timely warning you will see why this is necessary. We don't have power at the site so the type that go into a fire are the ones we want.
Regards Sally Wright.
peter
KG Regular

Sally, that takes me back. :oops:
My Dad had a three letter branding iron for garden tools.

Now, most of the web searches I tried got me American Steak branding irons, "Personalise your steak!".

But I persevered and got the UK trade magazine for blacksmiths called Forge and possibly more useful to you the The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths who have a directory that you can search, it yielded two in my "CM" postcode region when I took a punt on "Industrial".

I'd try that and ring one of the local firms. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Smurfy
KG Regular

Hi Sally,

Try local farm or bankruptcy sales. I know my uncle used to get a number a year from this route.
Life's a journey, not a destination - Aerosmith
richard p
KG Regular

any bit of iron rod heated in a fire would do if you cant find letters, just burn dots freehand in the right pattern
Jonzjob
KG Regular

I realise that I have come into this a little late, but only just got here!

Have you thought of getting a cheepish pyrograph pen set, taking the tool you want to mark back home and doing the job there?

I think that something like http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44 would do the job for you and you could really go to town if you had a glass or 2 of red at hand?
John.

My wife won't normally let me do anything in the garden.
She says that I just like cutting things down,
but that's not true 'cause I like cutting things up too!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear JJ,
I was planning to allow everyone at the plots to use the branding letters as a site wide thing to upgrade the security of the whole site. With hopefully a branding and marking day/ picnic. A pyrograph tool is not going to mark the tools deeply enough to make them less attractive to thieves. Besides no electric.
We had the little darlings round the other week and they had planned on emptying all the sheds. Fortunatly they were disturbed and most tools were recovered.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic