Barford Atom infomation request.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Anyone (Clive perhaps) know anything about these?

Are they a two wheeled walk-behind tractor that can pull implements?
When were they made?
Are they any good?
Anything else worth knowing about them?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
reiver
KG Regular

Hello Peter,
There were three variants of this machine the first I believe was the barford atom mechanical gardener,This is a two wheeled walk behind tractor .which had a range of implements these machines are not that common .Next came the Atom 15 which had a villiers MK12 engine and larger diameter pneumatic tractor type wheels the final version was the Atom 30 which looked very similar to the 15.this machine had a Villiers mk15 engine.there were a range of implements made for the 15 and 30 including ploughs,cultivators, finger bar mowers (I have one of these),trailers,logging saws,generators,pumps, rotovator.the Atom 15 and 30 were made in the 50s and 60s.There are still quite a few around watch Ebay.I have an Atom 15 with a 30 inch cutter bar and it is simple, easy machine to operate and maintain.Although you must remember they were designed and built inthe 1950s.So there is no safety interlocks, etc.My brother has a 15 which he has used to plough quite hard ground and he said it was unstoppable. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic