Worst tool ever bought or given.

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

Mine is a so called "scythe" which I was given as a present.It is made of 3mm carbon steel about 18 inches long with the last 6 inches bent at a 30 degree angle and the edges sharpened.The moulded on plastic handle is very uncomfortable,horrible to use and useless.
I"ve seen it advertised in the national press for £12-00 but I wouldn"t give 12 pence for it.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Colin_M
KG Regular

I was given some of the green plastic tracking that you can join together in sections and make a temporary path/walkway to reduce impact to soil.

It came in small sections and proved unusable. On the version I had, the sections quickly separated after being walked on. They also caked up with mud. To their credit, the supplier refunded our money

I suspect something like this would be better:
Shallot Man
KG Regular

snooky, I had one of them years ago, it lasted some 15 minutes before I passed it on to a potholder who was known [behind he's back] as old grumpy. funny enough he thought it was OK, in fact gave me some cabbage plants later in the year, this was unusual as he was not known for his generosity.
Monika
KG Regular

Do you know, Colin M and Shallot Man, I have just bought, assembled and installed my second green roll-out path. The first one (in use for two years now) has been really useful and the second one will no doubt be, too. I don't use them on the allotment because the terrain there is steep, both up and down and sideways, but in the vegetable patch in the garden where I want to go out, pick a lettuce or some herbs in my flip-flops rather than having to don my wellies . I don't use permanent paths there because I change the lay-out (that is, rotate) the plot every year, so these green temporary paths are just the right thing. And I don't use the wheelbarrow on them, either.

Horses for courses, eh?
Compo
KG Regular

Something called a garden groom, sort of portable shredder that, cuts the hedge and shreds and bags it at same time, no good once the branches / stems have got more than an inch long it is now shelved with bent blades, shame really because the shredded waste composted really quick. And I also one of those twisty things for cultivating the soil, it was cheap and just bent up.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
tatws
KG Regular

Garden shredders, I've owned two and gave up on them as they repeatedly get jammed up, then you have to disconnect it from the mains, open it up, remove all the material, close it up, plug it back in and five minutes later it gets jammed up again ! Arghhh
goldilox
KG Regular

An onion hoe - first time I showed it to the soil the head fell off :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear goldilox, how come the simplist things can be the funniest, i can just see it happening. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
glallotments
KG Regular

goldilox wrote:An onion hoe - first time I showed it to the soil the head fell off :lol:

I love my onion hoe!
The Mouse
KG Regular

goldilox wrote:An onion hoe - first time I showed it to the soil the head fell off :lol:

That's my worst-ever tool, too, though its head is still on. Maybe it's my own fault for buying 'cheap', but the thing does nothing more than tickle the weeds. :roll:
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
glallotments
KG Regular

My onion hoe is a hand tool are yours too? I'm starting to think I must be weird!

The Mouse
KG Regular

Yes, mine looks pretty much like that. But looks can be deceiving. As I said, mine was cheap - very cheap, so I probably got what I paid for. :( :roll:
Mark Twain
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Onion hoes are handed you know you two, maybe you are using the wrong ones.

The Mouse
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Onion hoes are handed you know you two, maybe you are using the wrong ones.

Really? What, you mean as in left-handed or right-handed?
I think mine was too cheap to have such refinements :( :roll:

Interesting point, though.
But it´s just as well I didn´t realise, because I can never decide whether I´m left- or right-handed with tools with so would have spent ages trying to decide which to buy! :?
Mark Twain
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bert the mouse, i've been sitting here riddled with guilt, i must confess i was joking about left or right handed onion hoes. :lol: :lol: :wink:

What must you think of me. :twisted: :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic