Two Wheeled Tractors

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Columbarius
KG Regular

I'm seriously thinking about investing in a two-wheeled tractor. I have a patch of land to turn into a vegetable garden. Currently brambles, docks, nettles and grass tussocks.

So - a powered scythe to cut down the top growth, a plough, and then a rotovator to bring it to a state fit for cultivation. A device that can power a variety of equipment seems to me more logical than a set of dedicated machines (e.g. a mower, a rotovator, etc.)

Thereafter all three tools would have value in maintaining the plot, and (if I got really rich) I could add a trailer to haul manure from the nearby stables.

Those are the (dreamer's) benefits. Does anyone have any experience of the reality?

Columbarius.
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Columbarius,

I would think that you won't have much luck in getting rid of brambles, dock and nettles by the method you describe.

I would use Glyphosate first to kill them.

regards, Gerry.
Kev
KG Regular

Are you talking about buying new? because I would imagine it could get quite expensive if you buy all the attachments.
On the other hand if s/h. it could take some time to find the implements.
If you have a sizeable piece of ground why not a small tractor like a Kubuto or Yanmar?
They often sell on ebay complete with rotavator for reasonable money.
Or get a Howard 350 or (best) a diesel Gem.
As advised earlier forget trying to control deep rooted nasties like docks and thistles by just chopping em off!
Kev
Stephen
KG Regular

Glyphosate for sure.
This article may help, even if it is from another gardening site.http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
Note to the moderators:- I hang my head in shame, but it is a good page!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
richard p
KG Regular

before you spend megabucks on something you may not have an ongoing use for have a look at whats available for hire from local hire centres. its often better to hire something new and man enough for the job and abuse (work it to the limits of its capacity :D )it for a weekend , rather than spend money on a heap of junk that takes 3 months tinkering to get to work and then aint really man enough. having said that once the hard works been done by the hired machine it can make sense to buy a lighter machine for ongoing maintenance
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I agree with richard p
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic