Garden Rakes

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

The head of my garden rake has snapped off so I need a new one. Did a Google and was amazed at the many different kinds. I think I will settle for the simple straight head with a dozen or spikes with about 1 inch separation, but anyone any thoughts about any others which they find useful?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Colin,

Now, what I should like to find is a rake with 2" spaced tines...I made one a few years ago..old Atco mower flat handle folded and shaped at the ends....drilled and then HT coach bolts, that had been pointed and subtly angled, hammered in on their squares then welded...socket from old Woolworths rake welded on...works a treat..I seemed to make it all in half an hour...I seem to lack patience to do such jobs these days...too many things in hair it seems :roll: :wink:
.....perhaps too much sat in front of this 'puter :shock: :wink:

I bought a Sneeboer rake for work a couple of years ago...with similar spacings...all ok but bit pricey..and my colleague has given it some wear raking up gravel paths..all but wearing it out:roll:

I like the larger tine spacing as it allows the rake tines to pass through our soil well working it down as it goes better I feel than the closer spacings.

I always count the tines on rakes I see out and about in case the tines are such that I can cut out every other one...'cept they are always such that there would be one odd one left :? :oops: :roll:

Apologies if this has blurred your search :? ..just passing on a pet theory of mine :wink:

Clive.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks Clive for your reply. Which Sneeboer rake did you buy? I was wondering how well the Gardena Aerator would work?
Geoff
KG Regular

I bought a rake head in France a few years ago to use for picking up grass as I was fed up with wooden peg rakes not lasting long. It is almost 2' wide with vertical flat metal tines and does the job very well. I have also found it excellent for breaking up soil as it seems to cut the lumps up. I haven't seen one quite the same in this country, I thought there was a Wolf head the same but I can't find one listed anywhere.
Clive.
KG Regular

I seem to think it pre dated Harrod Horticulture importing Sneeboer.?..did Link Stakes bring in Sneeboer previously???

It looks a bit like the GCT-370 on the Harrod website...which if my sums are correct now has a tine spacing of 1.7"?.. but it may have been an earlier version??

It has been good ..but would have liked it a bit wider in overall width...and its tines were already a bit short at new and slightly too cranked an angle...or else I'm too tall :wink: there was at the time a larger version with longer tines...that I felt were a bit too long...am I fussy or wot :oops: :wink:

...I stress that this may have been an earlier version and perhaps not the one now listed.

Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic