Viking Ride-On Mower start problem

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sammy
KG Regular

I have a 2-year old Viking Ride-On mower.
It starts everytime when I go to use it. However, after it's been going for awhile, if I switch off, it doesn't always start again. The starter motor will turn the engine ok but no attempt to fire up. This fault seems to happen when the engine is warmed up. If I leave it for an hour or so and go to start it again it will start ok. It never cuts out when its running. It's only a start problem after warming up.
I wondered if there is a thermal cut-out. Any ideas?.
richard p
KG Regular

hi, its unlikely to be a thermal cut out. silly things first, are you using the choke and what throttle setting when trying the warm start? dont touch the choke and try leaving the throttle closed or about a quater open.
if that doesnt work a service will be a good idea , but tell the engineer about the warm start problems cos it may be the carb needs adjusting. :D
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

I am not at all familiar with Viking machinery...oher than using one of their hedgetrimmers.

I was busy typing when I saw Richards post appear...my thoughts are likewise...I would not have thought there was a thermal cut out...I would expect plenty of other "cut outs" these days...on gear and blade engagement levers, seat switch etc, etc..

If it has a throttle control with a choke postition at the very end of the lever travel.?...it may only need choke for cold start and not for warm start....however, then again some engines, depending on set up, like just a wiff of choke position when warm but have to be caught instantly with lever moved swiftly to normal run.
Some like to start when warm at tickover...

Older B&S engines on older riders often have a tendancy for the carb to flood a little..leading to just the problem highlighted here..but then this is such a new machine...similar can happen with carb adjustment being a bit out...although a blocked (dirty) air filter could also cause rich choked running...

Perhaps with ref to age and its value it would be best to run it past a local agent...as they would have the up to the minute info' via manufacturers service bulletins and know of any quirks that have cropped up in service of your model type..

All the best,
Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic