Push mower

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

johnsgirl
KG Regular

I have just been given a Qualcast push mower, it has been left out in the open for a couple of years will it be any good? Should I oil it? And if so where?
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm sure it will be fine with some tlc and WD40.

The mower I share with another plotholder was found dumped beside the recycling bins in our car park. It was old and rusty but with a little maintenance is now doing a grand job. There is so little to actually go wrong with push mowers that I'm sure you can fix your Qualcast (good make too). :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
richard p
KG Regular

anything that rotates, ie the rollers and cylinder will have gearings were they mount to the frame, these need oil or grease so they rotate easily.
the cutting cylinder cuts against a bar accross the frame, rust on the cutting surfaces can jam it solid, clean with sandpaper or gentle use of a file, the clearance between the stationary bar and the rotating cylinder is critical for good cutting, the bar should have adjuster bolts at each end, basically if the gap is non existant the cylinder wont rotate, if its too wide the cylinder goes round but doesnt cut cleanly. if it cuts fine leave them alone, otherwise adjust the bar till it touches the cylinder at both ends then slacken it off till the cylinder will rotate without any of the cylinder blades touching the stationary bar.
good luck :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic