Ride-on from the states

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

gary29428
KG Regular

I have purchased a John Deere LA115 lawn tractor from a dealer in Long Island, getting it into Ireland for less then 1/2 of what I'd pay here. I have heard that I will need to change the spark plugs because they use a different petrol mix for cars and the likes in the US, anybody any ideas if this is the case. Great site by the way....new user.
Tigger
KG Regular

You need Clive. He'll know. Peter will too. They'll be along - or send them a PM.

Welcome to the Forum Gary. :D
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

Sorry, don't know...too new a machine for my ageing knowledge. :oops: :wink: ..

It was the case a few years ago with some manufacturers engines that with the change from leaded to unleaded petrol the UK plug recomendations changed to suit...
It was actually the case that all B&S 4 stroke engines were designed to run on unleaded and did so fine elsewhere...we were the odd ones that used to run them on leaded...

Perhaps the question needs to be run past a local machinery agent parts dept..in the form of what plug do I need to fit my...quoting the engine type/model as much as the tractor numbers...most agents should have a ref manual for plug types...although they notoriously used to lag behind with newer models. :roll: :wink:
Even if the tractor mower was a model numbered different in the US to UK the engines may be fitted to many other machines and sent worldwide.

Sorry, not the definitive on this but I managed to waffle my way around it :wink:

All the best,
Clive.
gary29428
KG Regular

Thanks Clive, will go down the dealer route. Mower is costing me 1850euro all in (shipping and duty), cheapest I've been quoted in Ireland is 3800euro. Got to love the internet.....
Tel
KG Regular

Hi Gary,
First of all - well done for achieving a good buy!
As for your fuel question, I can't see why there should be any difference in fuel standard between UK/US?
Just returned from US & the car I hired was compatible to UK Model.
Fire it up & if in runs smoothly then it should be O.K. The engine won't be damaged by the wrong sparkplug - only the performance in the short term.
After all, Briggs & Stratton engines sell worldwide?
Let us know how you faired.
gary29428
KG Regular

Thanks Tel, the mowers left dock on Saturday so we should have them in 2.5weeks. Sooner the better, grass is growing like mad over here on the west coast of Ireland.
Geoff
KG Regular

So how's the mower?
Tel
KG Regular

Waiting with baited breath. FCS.
landie57
KG Regular

The only thing I can think that would be different is the octane/RON rating.
There is a very interesting article in the FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs)newsletter, issue 5 of 2008, which is available online. It details possible problems of running old engines on new petrol which can contaian upto 5% ethanol.
Tel
KG Regular

landie,
Owl drink dat!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic