Stihl FS 350 Strimmer

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

goldilox
KG Regular

My husband has today encountered a problem with his strimmer.

The Stihl strimmer suddenly lost its drive to the blade. The motor works OK, the blade is secure, but no transmission. At the time the anti-vibration had become loose but he re-tightened this. Still no transmission.

Hope someone can help.
richard p
KG Regular

hi
when it happened to my castor it was the plastic twine head that had worn round so the square shaft just spun inside it, hope yours is as simple.
otherwise you will have to take things apart to get anywhere, start at the bottom and work up, ive not had a stihl apart but they are all basically the same, first check where the head fits on ,. if the end of the shaft doesnt go round with the engine then check the little angle gearbox at the bottom, it should come off fairly easily (have you got a large hammer?) assuming the shaft itself is unbroken the next suspect will be the centrifugal clutch at the top between the shaft and engine . its likely to be a key that locks a gear to a shaft that has worn away or fallen out. best of luck
goldilox
KG Regular

Thanks Richard,
think its possibly the key or clutch - shaft appears to spin until loaded then it stops - not enough torque to turn the blade, so I'll check out the clutch assembly.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Goldilox,
The FS350 is not in my 2007 catalogue so this must be a new machine to the professional range for 2008. Strimmers are far from cheap articles and if this is a near new machine and still under guarantee I would take it back to the Stihl agent and let them deal with it. If you attempt to do anything yourself it may render the guarantee null and void.
I bought a Stihl FS 90 with the new 4 mix engine late last year and am happy to say that it works like a dream. I have yet to get to grips with the 4 stroke engine that runs on 2 stroke mixture.
Perhaps if Clive reads this he might be able to advise me.
JB.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
The FS350 appears in the 1999 and 2001 catalogue as 36.3cc...the second model in the Prof' Brushcutter and Clearing Saws section.
I am not familiar with their workings but would suspect they have a solid drive shaft with square drive ends.??

JB...The 4mix system is far too new for me to know anything about it...we are still on 2 stroke..FS280..

4mix was in fact highlighted to me a couple of years ago by one of our special needs students who was a total Strimmer enthusiast..
He told me about this new 4stroke machine he had at home..and I admit that I thought he had got it all wrong with the fact of using mix in in it :oops: ...good job he knew what he was talking about and stuck to his guns...I had then only come across the mini Honda engine which seems more conventional than the Stihl system. The Honda seems to have a couple of paddle blades in an oil chamber....whilst the Stihl, as I was assured by our most knowledgable student, uses mixture.

Seems from the animations on the link below that some of the mixture is drawn into and back out of the crankcase and the valve casing to do the lubricating....
http://www.stihl.ca/4mix/english/stihl4mix/default1.htm

Clive.
goldilox
KG Regular

Thanks for info - bought this 2nd hand in France 3 yrs ago, so it's still worth investigating if anyone knows how to get to the problem.

He will look at this in more detail, but is off to Ecosse tomorrow to collect (my) mother-in-law. Happy days :roll:
goldilox
KG Regular

Thanks for all yr ideas
Stripped it down this weekend and found that the drive shaft tube had slipped out of its engine casing clamp and allowed the square drive to disengage - easily rectified by loosening (further) the clamp and reposition and tighten - hence total engagement - FIXED !! :D

Mr Goldilox
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Goldilox, I just love a happy ending. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Clive,
Thank you for posting the website for Stihl but for some unknown reason when I try it my computer simply stops working. I get the website easily but click on anything the whole lot stops. I cannot even clear it from the screen and end up turning the computer off by switching the power off!
Any ideas other than not trying it again!
JB.
Clive.
KG Regular

Pleased to read that poorly strimmer is well again. :) .

JB...puzzled by the non working and lock up when looking at the link I posted...I checked it just now again and when all the animations have been clicked on they sit in line across my screen steadily chugging away...
Perhaps it runs on a player that is not available on your computer.??..anyway, perhaps if it causes such a lock up...best not to try again.??

Your 'puter is not old British Sleeve Valve powered is it :?: :wink:

Clive.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Clive,
Looking at the picture, if you were to remove the reduction gear from the front of that engine you would see the most wonderful piece of British engineering. The planet wheel construction took an absolute genius to work out let alone engineer.
That was when we deserved the Great before the word British!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic