rotavator help

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

i am looking to buy a rotavator in the near future,any suggestions?
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
richard p
KG Regular

what do you want to do with it? a mantis is fine for stirring established beds and carrying about. to dig up an overgrown allotment you would be looking at a quite different beast.
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

sorry should have been more precise.
plot is 200 sq yds.but i will be digging by hand this year.i want to use it to turn the soil thereafter,preferbly i would like wheels as they are easier to manage(so ive been told).
i am looking for makes and models
peter
KG Regular

How deep is your pocket?
New or secondhand?
How mechanically competent are you?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

peter wrote:How deep is your pocket?
New or secondhand?
How mechanically competent are you?

£300-400
either but mre like s/h
not bad,can normally put my hands to anything
peter
KG Regular

That will get you a secondhand Howard 350 on e-bay.

However, buyer beware, these have not been made for over twenty years, so could be clapped out, but if you know what to look for you could get a good one.

E-bayer Rotorob is down the road from me and does them up for resale, but I have not bought a machine from him, though I did buy a plough for my 350 from him.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

i think i will go for a honda f 220 for £509,has anyone got one of these??

http://www.godfreys.com/product/2.4_hp_ ... _HC-F220DE
Richard
KG Regular

Hello gowerbass

I was hoping someone else would come in as I have a vested interest, being the Merry Tiller man. The Tiller you picture looks a bit small for the size of plot you have. It will do it but I would not buy one that size for much over 50 sq yards. In Merry Tiller terms a 3hp Major would be the smallest I would recommend for a 200 sq yard plot. A word of warning about Merry Tillers is that the newest UK made machine is about 18 years old and although some have spent almost all that time in the shed, quite a few have had a hard life, and many sold on ebay are missing vital parts like the rear skid. Having said that, they are built to last, I suspect most of the newer designs won’t last ten years.

Most buyers think the bigger the engine the better but this is not necessarily so. Most tillers are great in a straight line but have to be manhandled round the turn at the end of each row. The heavier the machine, the harder it is to turn. The best machine for the job is a trade off between ease of use and the width you can cover with each row, and this depends on horsepower, the depth you want to go and the lightness of your soil.

Regards, Richard
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

ta for the reply richard
bighughie
KG Regular

gowerbass come gardener wrote:i am looking to buy a rotavator in the near future,any suggestions?

:lol: Try your local tip i got mine from my local and it cost just £40 to have it seen too now it works fine
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic