New wheelbarrow

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

JohnN
KG Regular

Hi all,
75th birthday coming up and I'm angling to get a new wheelbarrow from the family.
Requirements:
1. Largish (for carting leaves & moss), but not too heavy 2.Broad wheel to avoid ruts in soft lawns 3.Hard-wearing interior as I occasionally use it for mixing soil 4. Can be left in open all year (with plastic over in winter) 5.Price not critical, but hopefully under £75.
My present one, on it's last legs (sorry, wheel), is a Remploy galvanised iron which has lasted for 35 years!
Suggestions gratefully received.
John N
John
KG Regular

I think I'd first go down to the local builders merchants like Travis Perkins or Jewsons (probably better than the big shed stores eg B&Q) to see what they have. A builders barrow with a pneumatic tyre takes some beating.
Happy returns for your 75th when it comes

John

PS A real luxury, of course, would be a powered barrow! At your your age its surely what you deserve!
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
JohnN
KG Regular

Thanks, John, I have both TP and Jewsons fairly local, so I'll try them. From your little tailender do I perceive you're a fisherman? So am I - all kinds, coarse, game and sea. I have a book coming out sometime soon, but very slow publisher, I fear it may be a postumous publication!
John N
Lurganspade
KG Regular

Hi John N

Make sure it is properly balanced, ie easy to lift and move when loaded.
Try to try it out with a weight over the front wheel, if they will let you!

One of our allotment holders arrived with an almost new builders barrow, given to him by a builder friend.

Even when loaded with stable manure which is very light, it is heavy to lift and worse to push.
We can see why the builder passed it on!

Anyway, enjoy your new toy,when you receive it !!

Cheers
Buy land, they do not make it anymore!
Geoff
KG Regular

I reckon sideways stability is very important - if you can find one with slightly splayed legs I reckon that might help. I have two builders barrows that tip over very easily. How do you cope with one barrow? When digging I fill one from the first trench, use another for compost (I actually have 3 as my 10' beds fill 2 with the first trench).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic