Merry Tiller Chaincase

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pumpkin tony
KG Regular

I have a Merry Tiller which leaks oil from the chaincase. Would it be ok to fill it with grease to keep it lubricated?

Any guidance here would be much appreciated.

Tony.
peter
KG Regular

Not something i would do as it was designed to be lubricated by oil.

Look on the web for a new gasket or bearing seals. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Richard
KG Regular

Hello Pumpkin Tony

Merry Tiller chaincases often leak from the oil seals. Normal grease won’t be much good as the bearings and chains are lubricated by the bottom chain dipping into the oil and throwing it up onto the idler and top chain. However new Merry Tillers still use the same case and are lubricated by “00 grade grease”. This is like very thick oil and should not run out of the seals as easily but because of it’s treacle like consistency will still flow round the inside of the case, keeping everything lubricated.
pezzer1
KG Regular

get the leak sorted out,its probably wear in the main shaft bearings letting the shaft drop and stretching the seals,you could put grease or oil+grease mixed together,but the problem is still their and will properly let you down at the worst possible time and end up costing you more money than it would just to replace bearings and seals
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic