gas greenhouse heaters

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

fen not fen
KG Regular

Am I alone in being unable to get a second year out of these? Last year my Wee Willie Winkie started leaking from the pilot, this spring the replacement Rite Air has just corroded around the burner so flames are bursting out all over. What am I doing wrong?

I only use them in spring to keep toms etc warm on cold nights, the rest of the time they're in the shed.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Fen,
As a commercial producer I went for Hotbox heaters and they ran for years without any problems. I sold them on only a couple of years ago and as far as I know they are still going strong. These were installed in 1994.
I also have Hotbox oil heaters in the tunnels but used those very seldom.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear fen not fen, i too had trouble with a wee willie winkie propane gas heater just after the warrantry run out. It started coming on just half flame all the while, and smelt fumey, i had it serviced, and then a new part fitted but it started doing the same thing again after a few weeks.
So i gave up with it in the end, and went over to electric.

I also found this helped to combat fungal related diseases, with the electric fan heater being a dryer heat.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
fen not fen
KG Regular

Thanks for the swift replies!

OH - that is exactly what this one is doing! And it is just out of warranty as well. Sadly I have no leccy in my tunnels.

JB - sounds like Hotbox it is then. Fortunately the weather seems to be picking up now so it isn't the disaster it would have been last week!

Thanks again

Fen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic