Merry Tiller belt wear

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sammy
KG Regular

This time last year several kind readers of this forum answered my query about non-starting of my not-so-Merry Tiller. My annual Tiller question this year is about belt wear in the one position of the belt. It also happened on a previous belt. The engine is easiest to start when the wear part is around the engine pulley. It may be wrong size of belt or some adjustment needed. It seems loose enough. What do you think?.
richard p
KG Regular

it sounds like the unworn belt is gripping the engine pulley and the worn bit isnt, either the belt is too short or the clutch not slackening it enough, or the belt is too thick, has someone fitted a thicker b section belt instead of an a section for example. vee belts grip on the sides of the belt . the belt may have the size marked on it eg an A45 is a 45 inch a section, the section could be z (really thin), a,or b, . the length is either in inches or mm.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
Is there a correct belt guide in place as seen as items MT701 and MT3511 on drawings on Richard T' website http://www.merrytiller.co.uk/spares1.htm

The belt guide has 2 plate lugs? that are just clear of the back of the belt, top and bottom, when the belt is tensioned in the drive position....and serve to keep the drive belt knipped together and thus still in shape around..but just clear of..the engine pulley when the belt is out of drive.
Without a belt guide the belt would be out of shape and drop and bind in the engine pulley.

If all is as original then the belt guide would most likely still be fitted but I have seen many photos of MT on the well known e-auction site that have lost the guide in some blurred past history.

There is also some good info on drive belts on Richard T website that might be of help in puzzling out your machines ailment...and help decide if it has the correct belt fitted.

All the best,
Clive.
Sammy
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies. I notice the lower lug of the belt drive plate is not projecting out as far as the top one and is therefore not guiding the belt. I can't see that there is any adjustment. It's just a shorter projecting lug. And yet the engine pulley is aligned ok, I'd say, looking along the belt. I have to admit, Clive, I hadn't realised the significance of that plate, but I can see now you explain it how it should make the belt loose loop around the drive pulley in the idling position.
I think my solution may be to modify the lower lug to project more and also fit the right size belt and adjust the clutch cable .
Sammy
KG Regular

I was saying the drive belt looks to be aligned ok, but really, with the lower lug of the drive plate not out far enough to engage with the belt in the idling position, surely the drive pulley must need to be positioned further in on the drive shaft. I can see the pulley could be moved in about half an inch or so and 'am going to try that. There is a grub screw on the pulley that needs loosening in order to do that.
Richard
KG Regular

Hello Sammy

The chaincase pulley and engine pulley should line up. Put a long straight piece of wood across the chaincase pulley. The belt should run parallel to it. In practice the crankshaft pulley is about 3/8 of an inch from the engine oil seal.

Regards, Richard
Sammy
KG Regular

Well guys, I loosened the drive pulley and moved it further in on the drive shaft to within about 5mm of the engine case. I fitted a new belt which was an inch longer. It now loops loosly as it should around the engine pulley in the declutched position. Great to have it going properly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic