Sources of cheap anti-weed material?

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

headburro
KG Regular

Hi all,

I've seen a roll of woven polypropylene at the local garden centre I wondered if it was good value or not. It's 12m long by 1m wide for £13.

If not, can anyone suggest where I can buy some cheaper?

Cheers,
Head Burro.
www.wildburro.co.uk
sandersj89
KG Moderator

This place has it at .62 per metre so a bit cheaper, delivery is £4.95 so only saving a few pennies.

Longer rolls work out cheaper.

Kays Horticulture might be worth a look or even places like Wilkinsons.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
headburro
KG Regular

Wilkinsons? Hadn't thought of them - and I have some vouchers, too! Cheers for the tip.
Angi
KG Regular

Eek! Don't buy it at Wilkinsons. I bought some and in less than three months it had disintegrated and let all the weeds through, even though it was well covered with a bark mulch. An allotment pal had the same problem on his plot. I'm normally a big fan of Wilkinsons, but in this instance I think it was a false economy.
Sue
KG Regular

I got this out of John Yeoman's Lazy Kitchen Gardener book and it works like that (very expensive) paper you see for growing crops through.

Dilute standard wallpaper paste 3 times more than it says on the packet and soak newspaper sheets in it overnight in 8 thick layers. Next day squeeze out the excess paste and lay in on the soil overlapping the sheets by about 3 inches. You need 48 hours of dry weather to set it and you can then cut through planting holes.

It is pretty messy to do but lasts about a season and can then be dug in to rot.

Sue :)
nog
KG Regular

Or get a load of news papers the old Sunday Times was good open it up and lay it out cover with thin layer of earth. Borrow Wifes kitchen and use it to cut thru the paper when planting. Works on my Strawberries.
headburro
KG Regular

Hi all - thanks for the tips. I checked out the Wilkinson offerings and it looked pretty flimsy, I have to say. I'm going to check out the local builder's yard next week as I've heard they stock it cheaply (for path laying I guess).

HB
www.wildburro.co.uk
LakeView
KG Regular

I recently bought a large roll of 4 meter wide by 100m (a but of an overkill, but I needed more than 50m) from N A Kays:
http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/

Good selection, good service, and no extra shipping costs over a certain total £.

It went to cover my allotment to suppress the annual weeds prior to sowing/planting. I just don't have the time to dig/weed all the time (and a have a bad back). I'm hoping this strategy will help.
Tigger
KG Regular

Our local Farmer Supply people (TFM) are excellent for these sort of things - no farmers will pay a penny more than they need to. I suggest you look up you nearest equivalent.
secrte guest

Don't use wallpaper paste with fungicide in.( :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic