oil change

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jensssscar

Clive can you help?
I want to change the oil on my Honda HRD 535 (gvx140). Can I tip the mower over and drain it out of the filler pipe? or will this cause problems? Regards M

There must be a drainplug.
Look under the engine.
John
KG Regular

Hello Jen
I have a large Honda machine similar to yours and have come across this problem as well. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the crankcase (on the right from behind the machine) but it is difficult to access as the engine is set quite deep into the deck. I couldn't get a good grip on the plug with a spanner as it seems to be made of alloy. I gave up in case I finished off the plug head completely. As you have suggested the easiest way to get the oil out is to tip the machine on its side and pour it out - not so easy with these big machines!

John

PS Mine had a safety recall last year, to replace a clutch cable - did yours?
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I'm not very familiar with things recent and Honda.

Some Honda mowers a few years ago had a drain plug (steel bolt with aluminium washer) on the side below the filler and then a hole through the mower deck through which oil would drain into a container placed below...if you had got the container in the right place.!!

I seem to think though that a recent Honda vertical crank engine at work on our power barrow does not have a drain plug...and the only way in that case is out via the filler.

Out of curiosity I also had a quick search about and found a ref' to tipping oil out the filler as an alternative on some Honda mowers seemingly fitted with a GXV140.

Turn off the petrol tap (if fitted) before tipping the mower.. and I still like to disconnect the spark plug lead...remember to push it back on the spark plug afterwards though as it is easy to forget :oops: and wonder why it won't now go..!!

You were certainly wise to enquire about tipping a mower as with some manufacturers engines it could mean oiled up air filter, a minor nuisance to replace, and or petrol in the sump which is bad news..if not realised and run..!!

All the best,
Clive.

Edit, Jan29th,20:49...I have had another search about.. and note that one model listed is electric start. I would like to think it would be a sealed "dry" type battery.. with ref to tipping..??!!.. but I am just not up to speed on things new and Honda.. So perhaps a word with a service dealer or via www.honda.co.uk might be the best advice...mighty expensive machine to be getting info' wrong on..!!
jensssscar

Thanks Clive & others for helpful advice. It is not electric start, so I am going to tip it up and drain it. Incidentally does anyone know if you can date the machine/engine from the engine no like you can do with Briggs & Strattons?? I have just acquired the machine very much second hand, so I cannot answer the question about recalls. All the best Michael
nog
KG Regular

Macine Mart do a oil syringe you pust the hose in and suck out the oil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic