Hayter mower

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ferret
KG Regular

I have just changed my petrol "push mower"for a second hand posh Hayter Harrier 41 but find that although it is self propelled it is so slow that I get impatient with it and borrow the old cheap one back.I have fitted a new belt in case it was slipping but I wonder if it is not revving high enough,any advice would be very welcome,thanks in advance,Ferret.
peter
KG Regular

I always find that I go faster with a pushable rotary mower than with a self-propelled one.

I guess the makers are looking at the "sue the maker cos the mower ran away from me and mowed my cat/child/flowerbed".

That or slower people. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,

I echo Peters thoughts about a push rotary mower being a swifter machine to use for general mowing...if the grass is short then you can push a bit faster and then slow down to allow for a tougher longer bit....I surmise that the mower manufacturer in designing their power propelled mower would have to strike a happy medium at the speed that their machine covered the ground to suit all conditions.

I also recognise that the Harrier is a dedicated lawnmower rather than being a general grasscutter so again the speed may be to suit giving a good lawn finish.

I did however note, in a look round the internet, an advert for a new Harrier 41 that said .."now with variable speed".

If your mower has a throttle cable it may be worth checking to see if it correctly pushes the throttle arm on the engine to the full speed postion...mower cables can get pulled and kinked in folding handles to fit in cars etc.

Some mowers no longer have a throttle cable as in a lot of cases the choke has been replaced by the primer button and the stop function replaced by the operator presence control...these may just have a pressed steel throttle bracket that is fixed in the full speed position..these can get bent if the mower has been pushed up to and contacted a bush or shrub at the lawns edge.

If you haven't got the handbook for your Harrier then a download may be available to suit from the Hayter website...the code number from the chassis sticker will be required. http://www.hayter.co.uk/pages/consumer/ ... folder=126

A lawnmower service agent will be able to check the engine speed and adjust if required to maximum....all will have either a digital rev counter that works via the engine ignition or a mechanical frequency sirometer which has an oscilating wire that responds to the engines speed.

All the best,
Clive.
ferret
KG Regular

Many thanks to you for your very helpful replies,have downloaded the book and all is now well.Thanks again Ferret
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic