Good Value Tool

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

I,ve just bought a stainless full size good quality spade from our local diy/garden store for £8.99, (includes 10% OAP dis). These used to be a monthly mortgage payment at one time!
Tel
KG Regular

Well done.
But beware, from previous posts, stainless steel tools 'aint what they're made out to be.
They can be 'soft'/difficult to keep a sharp edge/bend easily.
I hope yours is O.K.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
We tried a stainless spade recently, well recognised brand too. Sadly in the first dig the handle was loose in the socket...it went back.. and the second did the same....and I don't mean reasting and levering with the spade.. just ordinary open digging taking easy to handle bites.....

Hopefully if several have been returned improvements will have been made.??.. and I hope your recent purchase proves to be a good-un...

I fear we are about to have to try some again due to prize scrotes having removed a good selection of our best tools night before last.. :evil:

Included was my best English Tools "Atlas" Grafting Spade on which I had reshaped the damaged socket of and re handled and then used to great effect in some really good deep Winter digging...

:cry: Image :cry:

Clive. :(
Tel
KG Regular

Hi Clive,
That looks like a good spade & long too?
Being 6'2", I find all forks/spades are too short & makes the back ache!
I dig with a bulldog shovel, one can really shift earth with it!
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Tel,

Yes, it was an excellent spade and so were the others too...as was the wheelbarrow they left in.. :evil:

All the best,
Clive.
richard p
KG Regular

ive been using a wilkinsons stainless fork this spring, its some sort of plastic handle but seems to be up to the job. generally their tools seem to work at a good price

My £8.99 spade from Focus is re-inforced with a strong fillet where the shaft meets the blade, my previous spade about 20 years old did not have this and so recently bent off. I really think I have a good quality spade this time although it is quite heavy due to it's construction, time will tell though
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Clive, sorry to read about your loss, i bet your well annoyed and upset. Clive they get some really good old tools come up on ebay, i have bought a couple of tools off there and have been well pleased.
You never know you might see yours advertised on there and be able to buy them back. Sorry for that,that was awful of me.
Actually it might be worth keeping your eye on ebay over the next month for your tools as older tools are getting quite collectable.

Kind regards Old Hebaceous.

May the lords hand weigh heavily upon them.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello O.H.,

Yes, old tools are very collectable and in my case whoever took them new exactly what they were looking for with ref' to what was taken and what was left behind.!! ..added mole traps to the list today..

Some items are very identifiable...but you have to find them first.!!..bet there has been some good car booting had this weekend.??!!...and yes, saved searches have been set up on e-bay...but in reality that may be the last place they would turn as the whole world can be looking on...rather than just a few eyes at a boot sale..

All the best,
Clive.
PT
KG Regular

I've never bought a new, spade, fork, hoe, rake, etc. We're lucky in the Woking area. At the top of my road is a small business Handles of Old Woking The chap who owns it scours England's tool actions and the like for old tools. He repairs and sharpens just about any hand tool.

I'm into hedgelaying, and bought a few good billhooks and axes from him. When I buy something from him I like to buy it without the handle, so I can fit my own.

When I'm on holiday I like to rummage in second hand shops for old tools. some of my best chisels are old ones.

I brought 3 second hand hoes back from NZ minus the handles. I've not seen the likes here. One is delta wing shaped, sharp on leading and trailing edge. The other two are oval and sharp all round with the handle on the long edge. All 3 cut on the push and pull.

The steel on old tools is normally far superior to modern tools. they take a good edge, and have a little spring in the steel were needed. And they have some history. I sometimes wonder who owned it before me, and were it's been.

So I think best value tools are second hand.

TIP:[1] Mark your tools with spray paint around the socket, the bit were the wood joins to the metal and spray both wood and metal. Very difficult to remove, and not so desirable to nick

TIP;[2] If you have a shed on your plot and your handy with wood saw screwdriver etc. Make a false wall at the back of the shed. have a rack behind it for your tools, then lean some old canes and things in front of it.

PT
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
tea-shot
KG Regular

Was just having a quick scan through the older postings and I had to reply to this as I think it's a brilliant idea.
PT says TIP;[2] If you have a shed on your plot and your handy with wood saw screwdriver etc. Make a false wall at the back of the shed. have a rack behind it for your tools, then lean some old canes and things in front of it.
Will be starting on this at the weekend as we can't do much else with the ground being frozen to about six inches depth.
Am off on another scout of the site - thanks PT :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic