How can I date a Villiers engine

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gardenboy
KG Regular

Hello

This is my first post here so plese be patiant.

I have bought a Villiers Mk10 air-cooled engine from an aution and am now trying to gather enough info to overhall it get it running.

I have found the Winget company site and downloaded the manuals they have available here http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads.htm#villers but as there are two editons for different years I now need to know how old my engine might be.

Is it possible to tell from the serial number? The maker's plate says Villiers Mk10
No 851/148562D

The engine is not fitted to any equipment but might have been used on a farm elivator or simmilar.

Finally, does anyone know if Villiers Industrial are still in bussiness and, if so, what their contact details are?

Thanks very much for any help.

William
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello Gardenboy, and welcome, you will have to wait until Clive see's this, for your answer, but i thought i would just say hello anyway.
You shouln't have to wait to long for an answer. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello William,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question...but in the past I have purchased spares from;
Meetens Industrial Engines Ltd
Unit 2 Eclipse Trading Estate
30 West Hill
Epsom
Surrey
KT19 8JD
Sales Telephone: 0845 634 0295

Also the thread may be picked up by forum member "pockets" http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/

All the best,
Clive.
pockets
KG Regular

We can help you with dating look at the flywheel, If its original, CONTACT US THROUGHT OUR SITE AS ABOVE.
GEORGE.
peter
KG Regular

Now the sensible and helpful answers are in here's the stupid one I've been itching to say.

How can I date a Villiers engine?

Ask it out nicely. :oops:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Gardenboy
KG Regular

Thank you everyone, I have only just been able to get back to yhis thread.

pockets wrote:We can help you with dating look at the flywheel, If its original, GEORGE.

What is it about the flywheel that I am looking for? Is it something I could see though the space arround the starter pully, or will the blower housing need to be removed?

It my be a little while before I can get back to you about this as I will have to retrieve the engine from where I have stored it and if it need any dismantling it will have to wait till I have cleared some workshop space for the resto! :wink:

Thanks for the help and I may well need your stocks of parts in due couse.

William
pockets
KG Regular

Gardenboy wrote:Thank you everyone, I have only just been able to get back to yhis thread.

pockets wrote:We can help you with dating look at the flywheel, If its original, GEORGE.

What is it about the flywheel that I am looking for? Is it something I could see though the space arround the starter pully, or will the blower housing need to be removed?

It my be a little while before I can get back to you about this as I will have to retrieve the engine from where I have stored it and if it need any dismantling it will have to wait till I have cleared some workshop space for the resto! :wink:

Thanks for the help and I may well need your stocks of parts in due couse.

William
If its one of the older engines you will need to remove the cowl, on the outer edge of the f,wheel there is a string of numbers the last 2 denote the year IE 62=1962 etc.
George, villiersparts
Gardenboy
KG Regular

Thanks, George.

I'll be able to check that when I start stipping it down.

Thanks for your time, I'll remember your co if I need any parts.

Bye for now
William
Hortiman
KG Regular

Hi Peter
If you prefer dating American engines I can put you in touch with a tasty Briggs & Stratten, which has two of the perkiest cylinders you have ever seen!!!
Regards
Hortiman
Happiness is a well tuned engine !
peter
KG Regular

I prefer Kohler's.

That New York German accent, oohhher. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic