McCulloch strimmer

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ferret
KG Regular

I have"volunteered"to renovate all the machinery supplied by my allotment comitee!All has gone well including 3 rotovators,7 mowers and 4 strimmers but I am beaten at the moment by 3 McCulloch strimmers that people have "fiddled with" and the mixture settings have been lost.Could anyone advize me as to the number of turns from right in I should unscrew to in order to find a base to work from?All advice very gratefully accepted,Many Thanks,Ferret
Kev
KG Regular

My McCulloch strimmer has little plastic tags on the mixture screws and they will only adjust 1/2 a turn, I guess those "fiddling people" have snaped the tags off.
Don't really won't to snap my tags off to find the setting.
So I can only suggest you come out a couple of turns and err on the rich side to see if you can get them going then screw in as the motor warms up.
have you checked there are no problems with the diaphragm? and no inlet air leaks?
Strange you have three that you can't find a setting for? suggests to me that there is some other common fault apart from mixture?
Regards, Kev
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I'm not familiar with things McCulloch but a number of 2 stroke machines during my time in the machinery world had a basic setting of one full turn out from very gently screwed in. Older machines would somtimes be one and a half turns.

2 stroke strimmers, brushcutters, chainsaws, etc are generally set to be slightly rich when off load and as such are burbling away (known as 4 stroking) rather than running clean. On medium to large 2 stroke strimmers/brushcutters the high speed setting would be made with ref to a manufacturers known maximum revs figure using an electronic rev counter for reference. The tickover low speed would then be adjusted for optimum and the high speed re-checked. A check then that the engine will accelerate quickly and cleanly from tickover. If not the low speed may need a fraction richer.
This setting on larger strimmers would be done with a steel blade that runs more free than the load of a line head.
I used to find that this setting method was ok on the larger machines but not so good on smaller machines like curved shaft strimmers that only had a line head.

Cap air vents/non return valve can give trouble on some. Also in tank filters can become blocked.

Have you tried for an answer by contact with McCulloch.??
http://www.mcculloch.info/node956.aspx

All the best,
Clive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic