decent loppers

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marge
KG Regular

I need to buy some loppers to cut down a few rather large an high up branches. What are the best loppers on the market and how much should I expect to pay for them? :)
Reine de la cocina
John
KG Regular

Hello Marge
There are so many of these around that its difficult to say which is better. My S&J loppers are still going strong after several years, with an occasional sharpening. I think perhaps that's the answer - always keep them really sharp as they will cut so much more easily.
From what you say though it sounds as though you might be better off with one of those curved pruning saws that attach to a telescopic pole. How high and thick are these branches?

John
Last edited by John on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard p
KG Regular

if its something you only use occasionally try wilkinsons, they were doing a saw on a pole thingy for about £13 and telescopic loppers ( overgrown secateurs)were about a fiver.
Geoff
KG Regular

I bought these recently from the LBS shop - not sure if they are economical with postage. I have been amazed what I can get through with the ratchet action and the hedging shears are excellent too. Not had them long enough to judge longevity.

http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/produc ... T1&recno=1
Marge
KG Regular

... those aren't bad at all. I'm quite tempted by the tree lopper on that site too - oh decisions, decisions! :roll:
Reine de la cocina
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
the pole lopper from wilkinson is very good . We have one at work for about 4 years and considering the amount of work it gets it is still in remarkably good condition. It is not only good for high work, I used it only last week to get to the bottom of a Mahonia because it was the only way in. I expect it would be useful for those with a bad back for all sorts of pruning at low levels.
I especially like the way the blades curve so the branch does not slip out when pruning.
Regards Sally Wright.
lynne
KG Regular

The Asst. Est Mgr bought me a pair of Felco loppers for Christmas, and they're amazing!
They have carbon fibre handles too, so they're really light. This is not to be sniffed at when you're hacking away at a high branch!
:)
Where do you go to my lovely, when you're alone in your shed...
Weed
KG Regular

My Governor does the garden at home (I am not allowed to set a trowel in it) and she has a set of Wolf tools including a tree lopper the head of which can be switched. She has an apple grabber and also saw attachment for it.. I just stay well out of harms way when she is wielding it.
At 5' 2" the pole is far larger than the Governor and I daren't take the risk .. especially as she has recently increased the life insurance on me :(
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic