pole hedgecutters

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

richard p
KG Regular

been looking at converting a strimmer to a pole hedgecutter and prunner but it seems the attachments for my castor strimmer cost nearly as much as the strimmer did. for a similar price i can get a new a ryobi strimmer with attachments, has anyone got any experience of ryobi stuff, or any other suggestions for a reasonably priced alternative.
ive even considered going to the car boot ,getting an electric strimmer, hedce trimmer , chainsaw and attacking them with the angle grinder and welder to make my own, but havn't really got the time

Hello Richard,

These new fangle pole hedgetrimmers appeared after I left the garden machinery world.

I have never had any dealing with one but wonder how well they keep a tall hedge in check.??...It is hard to describe but until a hedge develops a good regularly trimmed, directioned face quite an effort is needed to draw a hedgtrimmer along working tightly into the hedge.
I wonder how well this can be achieved with a pole trimmer without the hedge quietly creeping out..??

Hopefully users will post on with good reviews..it may save me climbing on and off our Henchman platform so many times,...brilliant as it is I add. www.henchman.co.uk

I have no exprerience with Ryobi....my natural draw would be towards Stihl brand.

All the best,
Clive.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Ryobi have an OK reputation but I have never used one myself.

I have a Tanaka stimmer with a hedge cutter attachment I can swap over with and it is very good indeed. I have owned it for about 5 years and I use it to deal with some hawthorn and oak hedges about 12 foot tall and 6 foot deep.

Before I had it it took all day to cut the hedges with a standard hand held electric hedge cutter, now I can do them in about 3 hours.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
nog
KG Regular

I have a Ryobi Brushcutter and it has done good service. The now come with 2 year warranties. The head of mine went loose and I phoned Ryobi and they couldn't have been more helpful. Sent me a repacement part by return of post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic