Favourite Acquired Tools

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I have many old tools, some that I have bought and others that I have acquired over the years. One of my favourites is an old Neverbend spade that has a narrow and very sharp blade that I use very regularly, I remember finding it in the back of an old Commer pickup that I bought over 50 years ago, The vehicle has long gone and no doubt turned to rust but the spade despite many running repairs is still in regular use. The other favourite tool is a hoe that I think belonged to my late mother-in-law. It was made by Spear and Jackson and is nice and narrow and sharp on all sides and is very efficient when used between closely grown plants and I have never come across a similar model. I'm sure other gardeners have tools that they have acquired that have become favourites.

spade and hoe.jpg
spade and hoe.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 5300 times

hoe.jpg
hoe.jpg (216.61 KiB) Viewed 5300 times

Barney
Monika
KG Regular

Barney, I think we have had a thread on this subject in years gone past, so I can only repeat my take on it: my favourite garden tool is a Dutch hoe, made by Elwell, and probably 50 years old. We found it buried under weeds when we took on an abandoned allotment in 1976, cleaned it up and it is still serving us beautifully. It has a very very sharp cutting edge and a marvellously balanced wooden handle. When I mentioned it before, somebody gave me the link to the history of the Elwell firm which no longer exists.
Second favourite is a very old spade, again very sharp and is probably only three quarter the size it once was. But, by golly, you can dig with it.
Westi
KG Regular

My favourite is an apprentice piece fork I bought at the Saturday market at Lymington about 15 - 20yrs ago! Got initials on the handle but it is not really a fork as tines are so sharp but great for aerating the lawn! I hope the guy with the initials got a good mark as it has other uses as well! Dog deterrent from spots on the lawn, rips ivy out easily if you go up & not fork like down & the female response - who was WB? He was obviously proud of it to put his initials on it! I will never know where it came from in the country or even world, but think UK made. The stall holder has died & now just another 'Artisan Bread' in his spot! The fork was cheaper than the bread!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

It is a good subject.
Barney, the hoe looks like one I bought which was called (still would be I guess) a "winged weeder".
It is moderately sharp and I bought it for a small garden where its compactness is helpful. Generally, I find it a bit light. I like a tool with a bit of heft.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Like Cider Boys, I acquired tools over the years visiting boot fairs. Always looked out for well worn Blacksmith made ones. Built to last a lifetime.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic