Containets for food

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Miseyinel
KG Regular

Hi all. I'm trying to find really GOOD food storage containers that I can use in the freezer and microwave and --of course--the fridge. So far I've only come across some glass with flexibile "green" and clear lids, BUT they're fairly small for trying to store food in bulk and the bottoms of those containers are smaller than the top so they will not store french toast, muffins, pancakes, or waffles very easily because those items can be stacked evenly. It doesn't work so well when the bottom of the containers are so narrow. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm willing to spent the money on good freezer containers that using bags. THANKS
sally wright
KG Regular

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/

These people do everything you could possibly need for freezer use.
Regards Sally Wright
Richard
KG Regular

Can't see the point of buying containers. Empty marge tubs make a very good freezer container, recycling in action, no cost, and I get more containers that way than I can use, though this fruit season has used up nearly all the 500g tubs I have stored (perfect size for 1 pie filling). I used to use 2kg tubs a lot, but my local supermarket doesn't do them now, and I no longer make jam, the 2kg ones were ideal for a jam making session. These tubs are no good for microwaving, but seems pointless to have a freezer full of microwave containers.
retropants
KG Regular

I use takeaway containers to freeze. The satco rectangular plastic ones are perfect.
Kayburton
KG Regular

I use a glass containers. The only reason I've bought it was sale. I like glass things really, they are renewable and that's for environment. I use them in fridge and microwave. Not sure about freezing really. There is lots of them different sizes, just look through.
Westi
KG Regular

I like the idea of glass as well Kayburton, but deffo takeaway containers for work. Stuff for home is glass or part of the dining set which is freezer safe.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

I also use the takeaway containers for blackberry picking and storing dried herbs,
Stephen
KG Regular

I store stuff in the freezer mostly in bags. Rigid containers have a place but store less densely (but essential for soup!).
I have used 1kg yoghurt boxes to shape the bags well.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic