Clearway

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Robertorton
KG Regular

rps20200509_190633-2.jpg
rps20200509_190633-2.jpg (282.59 KiB) Viewed 25832 times

rps20200509_190715-2.jpg
rps20200509_190715-2.jpg (384.03 KiB) Viewed 25832 times

20200509_132638.jpg
20200509_132638.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 25832 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Looks like you have some work to do, but will be a useful tool when it's running. I might have been tempted with this if it were closer to home...…………..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Allen ... Sw0IBei0Q3
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Clive.
KG Regular

The Wolseley Clearway HS30...could cut and discharge almost any grass put in front of it...hydrostatic drive forward/reverse with the ability to drop speed to a crawl instantly when the going got tough. :) Made /sold from 1973/4 up to early 1980s..

C.
Robertorton
KG Regular

Hi guys. I have had her for years and she has been a useful tool. She is not for sale. As you can see i hit a hidden rock with her yesterday and the blade shaft sheared at the bottom. I desperately need a shaft. Where might i start the hunt?
peter
KG Regular

Not knowing what an undamaged one looks like I'm struggling to spot the damage?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Clive.
KG Regular

I'm assuming the shaft is stood back together as one in the photo.?..but maybe broken of at the plate.?? Not the first to happen that. It was one of the foibles of the HS30 upon meeting an obstacle...

I feel it will be a case of getting lucky and finding a dusty old stock..somewhere. or another machine being broken :( Or an engineering works remanufacture.

I once saw a blade for HS30 for sale on the Gateshead Lawnmower Centre website..I think they may have been involved when the old Qualcast Atco Suffolk Webb parts dept was sold out by Bosch.

Might be worth an ask on Vintage Horticultural & Garden Machinery Club or Old Lawnmower Club forums. OLC often quote Jon Cruse The Mower Centre Hailsham as a fount of all knowledge with ref old and obsolete part sourcing. I am a VH&GMC and OLC member but haven't myself dealt with either companies I quote here.

C.
Richard
KG Regular

I have the parts book and the part number is CL.161 or W26319 in Atco numbers. Gateshead Lawnmowers had a clear out just before the lock down so may have come across some, I got quite a lot of Merry Tiller bits, and found some grass cutter stuff mixed in. No shafts though. If the shaft is something that does let go, Gerald may well have sorted them out and saved them from the scrap man, who got all the bits they couldn't identify. However I suspect it will be a case of weld it back together, machine the weld down and hope for the best.
Robertorton
KG Regular

Yes guys sorry picture not very obvious as i had sat the shaft back on the plate. If anyone has a diagram of the bearings and seals for it, as all the bottom bearing etc fell out. I will chase up the possible contacts, thanks. In the mean time i will ask my welder pal to have a look at it too. Ide just got it running perfect too. Doh. Thanks anyway fellas. Keep up the good work
Richard
KG Regular

Sorry to be a bit slow with the reply. One thing not mentioned on the news about the "lock down" is that internet business has increased exponentially, or it has for me anyway and I have been hard pressed to keep up with demand. Anyway, page from dealer parts book below.
Clearway.jpg
Clearway.jpg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 25700 times
clearway
KG Regular

Hello all,

Sorry to jump into this thread, but this is a similar question. I've been working on a Wolseley Clearway this year. It was left in a shed at my fathers house for about 20 years. It has a 10hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I've built/fitted a new deck, replaced the coil/points/condensor/air filter/twin drive belts/stop switch/spindle bearings, etc. We had it running today and cutting grass, so nearly sorted out. There is still a problem with the twin belts, one of them came off when cutting (very long grass!). I think there should be a plate underneath the belts, the whole length between drive and driven pulleys, but the one on this machine is broken.
There is also a problem with grass getting wrapped around the right side wheel, I think a guard/shield is missing that side.
I see Clive has kindly provided a manual on these machines. I would be very gratefull for some pictures or a manual that shows the details I'm having problems with. Thanks.
Richard
KG Regular

Difficult to know quite what you mean without having worked on one. It seems an unusually complex machine for Wolseley to have knocked up in their cowshed. Below is the parts drawing of what is, I hope, what you want.
Attachments
Clearway2.jpg
Clearway2.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 25586 times
clearway
KG Regular

Richard, Thanks very much for that, its exactly what I need. The part "Side Skirt R.H" is damaged, and had been removed from the machine years ago. Now I can make a new one to keep the grass out. Also the belt support guide CL.445 is missing a large chunk at the driven pulley end. I should be able to fix that using your drawing for reference.
Your right about the complexity, but the hydrostatic drive is so nice to use when you can set the speed just right for the job. I would not like to have to repair that drive though!. John.
jabba
KG Regular

clearway wrote:Hello all,

Sorry to jump into this thread, but this is a similar question. I've been working on a Wolseley Clearway this year. It was left in a shed at my fathers house for about 20 years. It has a 10hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I've built/fitted a new deck, replaced the coil/points/condensor/air filter/twin drive belts/stop switch/spindle bearings, etc. We had it running today and cutting grass, so nearly sorted out. There is still a problem with the twin belts, one of them came off when cutting (very long grass!). I think there should be a plate underneath the belts, the whole length between drive and driven pulleys, but the one on this machine is broken.
There is also a problem with grass getting wrapped around the right side wheel, I think a guard/shield is missing that side.
I see Clive has kindly provided a manual on these machines. I would be very gratefull for some pictures or a manual that shows the details I'm having problems with. Thanks.

hi i have the same machine and have the coil just gone 3 wire one, plug points and earth lead, where did you get your replacement from and any links or part no would be useful i can take pics of mine if helpful to you as mine altogether cheers jabba
clearway
KG Regular

Hi there,
these are the ones I bought back in January from eBay. I would put in a jpeg image of the eBay page, but can't work out how on this forum.
The coil was hard to find. the original part number is 298968 (given to us by a mower dealer who said it was obsolete and no longer available!). The original condenser number is 298060. the original points number is 298185, and air cleaner 3939575.
Hope this helps. John.

ORDER DATE
8 Feb 2020
SOLD BY
small-plant-repairs(1 item)
Ignition Coil Fits Briggs & Stratton 7HP To 8HP Replaces Part No.s 298968 395488
( 362799341327 )

ORDER DATE
8 Feb 2020
SOLD BY
h.i.p.auctions(1 item)
Order Briggs & Stratton 298185 ignition contact breaker points
Briggs & Stratton 298185 ignition contact breaker points
( 274250855653 )

ORDER DATE
8 Feb 2020
SOLD BY
small-plant-repairs(1 item)
Order Condenser Fit Briggs & Stratton 8HP To 16HP Cast Iron Engine Replaces No. 298060
View order details
Condenser Fit Briggs & Stratton 8HP To 16HP Cast Iron Engine Replaces No. 298060
( 360697291337 )
Stephen
KG Regular

To post pictures:- select "Full Editor"
Select the Attachments tab beliw the text entry window.
Add Files.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic